Conspicuous Service Cross (Australia)
The Conspicuous Service Cross (CSC) is a decoration (medal) of the Australian honours system. It is awarded "for outstanding devotion to duty or outstanding achievement in the application of exceptional skills, judgment or dedication, in non-warlike situations". In November 2019, 1129 people were listed as recipients All ranks are eligible for the award.
|Conspicuous Service Cross|
Medal and ribbon
|Awarded by Australia|
|Eligibility||Members of the Australian Defence Force and Officers & Instructors of the Australian Defence Force Cadets|
|Awarded for||outstanding commitment to duty or outstanding application of exceptional skills, judgment or dedication, in non-war-like situations|
|Established||18 October 1989|
|Order of Wear|
|Next (higher)||Member of the Royal Victorian Order|
|Next (lower)||Nursing Service Cross|
|Related||Conspicuous Service Medal|
Ribbon for CSC & Bar
The Conspicuous Service Cross was introduced in 1989 to acknowledge outstanding achievement and performance of duty in non-warlike circumstances. Previously, there had been no option for such recognition other than using awards within the Order of Australia.
- The medal is a nickel-silver modified Maltese Cross with each axis measuring 38 millimetres, ensigned with the Crown of Saint Edward in nickel-silver, with the arms of the cross interspersed with fluted rays. The obverse bears a central device of the Southern Cross surrounded by a laurel wreath.
- The back of the cross shows a horizontal panel.
- The ribbon is 32 millimetres wide, having alternating diagonal stripes of bush green and sandy gold 6 millimetres wide.
- Additional awards of the CSC wear a nickel-silver bar with a superimposed replica of the cross. The bar is attached to the ribbon of the original award.
Multiple award recipients
Eight people have received the Conspicuous Service Cross for a second time, including:
|Awardee||Original award||Bar awarded|
|Colonel||Jeffrey Quirk||2000 Queen's Birthday Honours||2010 Queen's Birthday Honours|
|Rear Admiral||Stuart Mayer||2008 Australia Day Honours||2011 Australia Day Honours|
|Colonel||Mark Brewer||2006 Queen's Birthday Honours||2011 Australia Day Honours|
|Lieutenant Colonel||Rolf Audrins||2007 Queen's Birthday Honours||2013 Australia Day Honours|
|Group Captain||Chris Hanna||27 November 2003||2013 Australia Day Honours|
|Commander||Jan Noonan||2003 Queen's Birthday Honours||2014 Australia Day Honours|
- Conspicuous Service Cross, www.pmc.gov.au
- "The Order of Wearing Australian Honours and Awards" (PDF). Government House. 25 September 2007. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- Conspicuous Service Cross recipients, www.itsanhonour.gov.au
- Maton 1995, p. 78.
- "Conspicuous Service". Department of Defence. 26 September 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- Maton, Michael (1995). The National Honours & Awards of Australia. Kenthurst, NSW: Kangaroo Press. ISBN 0-86417-679-1.
- It's an Honour - Australian government website