Concord Township, Lake County, Ohio
Concord Township, Lake County, Ohio
Concord Township Hall
Location of Concord Township in Lake County
|Coordinates: 41°40′18″N 81°15′3″W|
|• Total||23.2 sq mi (60.1 km2)|
|• Land||23.1 sq mi (59.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||719 ft (219 m)|
|• Density||662.2/sq mi (255.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086415|
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships and municipalities:
- Painesville Township - north
- Perry Township - northeast corner
- LeRoy Township - east
- Hambden Township, Geauga County - southeast
- Chardon Township, Geauga County - south
- Kirtland Hills - southwest
- Mentor - west
- Painesville city - northwest
No municipalities are located in Concord Township.
The historical location of the unincorporated settlement of Concord is located at the north end of Ohio State Route 608 where it meets Ravenna Road/County Highway 360 (former State Route 44), though most current development in the immediate area is located nearby at the intersection of current State Route 44 and Interstate 90.
Name and history
Concord began holding Community Days in 1976, and has become an annual tradition ever since. Community Days has been held on Labor Day weekend from 1976-2012, when it was moved to the third weekend in August. Activities include a parade, auction, neighborhood softball tournament and fireworks show taking place at Concord Township Hall.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. As of 2008, the board members are Caroline Luhta, Christopher Galloway, and Paul Malchesky, and the fiscal officer is Amy Dawson.
Schools and school districts located in or near Concord Township include Auburn Career Center, Chardon Local Schools, The Goddard School, Hershey Montessori School, Lakeland Community College, Mentor Exempted Village School District, Riverside Local Schools, and St. Gabriel School (Lake County, Ohio).
The portion of Concord Township in the Mentor school district is divided between the zones of James A. Garfield Elementary School and Hopkins Elementary School. All of the Mentor school district section of Concord Township is zoned to Memorial Middle School. All students in the Mentor school district are zoned to Mentor High School.
Concord is home to Tri-Point Medical Center, a hospital part of Lake Health. It opened in late 2009.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lake County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Archived 2016-08-18 at the Wayback Machine Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Concord Township, Ohio — Home Page Concord Township, 2008. Accessed 2009-04-03.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Concord, Ohio (Lake County)
- Economic Development - Introduction Archived 2010-07-27 at the Wayback Machine Concord Township, 2008. Accessed 2009-09-01.
- "Subcounty population estimates: Ohio 2000-2006". United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2007-06-28. Archived from the original (CSV) on 2008-04-20. Retrieved 2008-05-28.
- About Concord - History Concord Township, 2008. Accessed 2009-04-03.
- Overman, William Daniel (1958). Ohio Town Names. Akron, OH: Atlantic Press. p. 33.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Lasko, John. "Community Days events undergoing changes for 2013". News-Herald. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- About Concord - Elected Officials Archived 2009-04-01 at the Wayback Machine Concord Township, 2008. Accessed 2009-04-03.
- Services and Departments - Service Department Archived 2009-04-01 at the Wayback Machine Concord Township, 2008. Accessed 2009-04-03.
- General Info - Schools Archived 2009-04-01 at the Wayback Machine Concord Township, 2008. Accessed 2009-08-12.
- "2015 Elementary School Attendance Areas." Mentor Public Schools. Retrieved on June 1, 2017.
- "2015 Middle School Attendance Areas." Mentor Public Schools. Retrieved on June 1, 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-02-23. Retrieved 2010-02-16.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Baker, Brandon C. (October 22, 2009). "TriPoint opens doors; patients move in". The News-Herald. Retrieved December 21, 2010.