Companhia das Letras
|Parent company||Penguin Random House (70%)|
Luis Schwarcz and Lilia Moritz Schwarcz (30%)
|Founder||Luiz Schwarcz and Lilia Moritz Schwarcz|
|Country of origin||Brazil|
|Headquarters location||São Paulo|
|Key people||Luiz Schwarcz (CEO/chairman)|
Lilia Moritz Schwarcz (COO/board member)
|Revenue||R$ 196 million (2009)|
According to Nielsen BookScan, Companhia das Letras was the second-largest book publisher in Brazil in 2015, with an 8.08% market share. In 2017, BookScan named it the largest publisher, with over 5,000 titles and 34 Nobel Prize winners.
One of its first four books was To the Finland Station by Edmund Wilson, a sales success that propelled the publisher. In the first twelve months of existence, it released 48 titles. Three years later, economist and writer Fernando Moreira Salles joined the project.
In December 2011, Penguin Books acquired a 45 percent stake in Companhia das Letras. In October 2018, Penguin Random House increased its stake to 70 percent. Moreira Salles exited the partnership, while the Schwarcz family will continue to own 30% of the publisher.
The publisher has several divisions, including Objetiva and Alfaguara (which were acquired from Grupo Santillana), Companhia das Letrinhas (children's books), Quadrinhos na Cia (graphic novels), and Penguin Companhia (classic literature).
Some of the authors in the catalog
- Jorge Luis Borges (Argentina)
- Jorge Amado (Brazil)
- José Saramago (Portugal)
- Vinicius de Moraes (Brazil)
- Chico Buarque (Brazilian singer)
- Machado de Assis (Brazil)
- Luis Verissimo (Brazil)
- Harold Bloom (USA)
- Philip Roth (USA)
- Feodor Dostoevsky (Russia)
- Roberto Bolaño (Chile - Spain)
- Dr. Seuss (United States)
- Caetano Veloso (Brazilian singer)
- Alejo Carpentier (Cuba, creator of magical realism)
- Dav Pilkey (USA; was signed to Cosac Naify before 2015, when that publisher closed)
- William Steig (USA)
- Shel Silverstein (USA)
- Jostein Gaarder (Norway)
- "Dama de palavra: Lilia Moritz Schwarcz celebra 30 anos da Companhia das Letras". vogue.globo.com. Retrieved 2017-10-05.
- http://g1.globo.com/economia/negocios/noticia/2011/12/grupo-penguin-compra-45-da-companhia-das-letras.html G1 Grupo Penguin compra 45% da Companhia das Letras. Retrieved in December 6, 2011