Commander Operations (Royal Navy)
The Commander Operations (COMOPS) is a senior Royal Navy officer based at Northwood Headquarters who exercises operational command of all national maritime operations on behalf of the Fleet Commander. The post was established in 1993.
Ensign of the Royal Navy
|Ministry of Defence|
|Member of||Navy Command|
|Reports to||Fleet Commander|
|Nominator||Secretary of State for Defence|
Subject to formal approval by the Queen-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed (typically 1–3 years)|
|Inaugural holder||Rear-Admiral Roger Lane-Nott|
Commander Operations also holds the additional posts of Commander Task Force (CTF) 311 (UK attack submarines) and CTF 345 (UK nuclear missile submarines). In 2015, Rear Admiral John Weale was appointed Rear Admiral Submarines/Assistant Chief of Naval Staff Submarines, while Rear Admiral Robert Tarrant was made Commander Operations (Royal Navy), separating the two posts in 2015. The current Commander Operations (Royal Navy) is Rear-Admiral Paul Halton who was appointed in 2017. Rear Admiral Simon Asquith will be the incoming Commander Operations as of November 2019.
- 1993-1996 Rear-Admiral Roger Lane-Nott
- 1996-1998 Rear-Admiral James Perowne
- 1998-2002 Rear-Admiral Robert Stevens
- 2002-2004 Rear-Admiral Niall Kilgour
- 2004-2006 Rear-Admiral Paul Lambert
- 2006-2009 Rear-Admiral David Cooke
- 2009-2011 Rear-Admiral Mark Anderson
- 2011-2013 Rear-Admiral Ian Corder
- 2013-2015 Rear-Admiral Matthew Parr
- 2015-2017 Rear-Admiral Robert Tarrant
- 2017-2019 Rear-Admiral Paul Halton
- 2019-present Rear-Admiral Simon Asquith
- 3 Commando Brigade
- Devonport Flotilla
- Portsmouth Flotilla
- Commander, Faslane Flotilla and Deputy Rear-Admiral Submarines (1993- 2015) post now reports to Rear Admiral Submarines.
- "Commander Maritime Operations visits personnel in the Gulf". Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Navy Command senior, as of September 2017". MOD. Retrieved 8 August 2018.
- Joining Britain's Royal Navy Archived 2013-12-26 at the Wayback Machine Undersea Warfare
- "SUEZ WAR OF 1956". Godfreydykes.info. 1956-11-05. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- Britain's secret nuclear bunker: Buried 100ft down inside is the control room where the order to launch a strike would be given Daily Mail, 15 September 2012
- "Rear Admiral John Weale" (PDF). Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Senior Royal Navy Appointments" (PDF). Retrieved 6 September 2015.
- "Senior Royal Navy appointments" (PDF). Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- @RAdmPaulHalton (6 November 2019). "I wish my relief, RAdm Simon Asquith, every possible success" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Ministry of Defence Organogram". data.gov.uk. MOD, 31 March 2016. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Navy Command senior staff CSV". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 20 December 2017.