Columbus State Cougars
The Columbus State Cougars represent Columbus State University in intercollegiate sports in the Peach Belt Conference in NCAA Division II. The University currently fields 14 varsity Division II men's and women's teams.
|Columbus State Cougars|
|University||Columbus State University|
|Athletic director||Todd Reeser|
|Basketball arena||Frank G. Lumpkin Center|
|Baseball stadium||Burger King Stadium at Ragsdale Field|
|Soccer stadium||Walden Soccer Complex|
|Colors||Red, White, and Blue|
Varsity athletic teams
- Track & Field
- Track & Field
The Columbus State baseball team has made eight appearances to the NCAA Division II Baseball Championship, twenty-four NCAA Regional Championship appearances, and is frequently in the NCSWA National Top 30 Poll. The Cougars won the 2002 NCAA Division II World Series and were the national runner-up at the 1986, 2007 and 2018 NCAA Division II World Series.
NCAA Division II Baseball Championship
- 1986 - Runner-Up
- 2002 - Champions
- 2007 - Runner-up
- 2018 - Runner-up
NCAA Regional Championship
In April 2015, the school's co-ed rifle program was discontinued after existing for six seasons. Prior to discontinuation the team competed at the Division I level as members of the Ohio Valley Conference starting in the 2012-13 school year.
Former assistant rifle coach, Jamie Gray, won the gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics in the 50-Meter Three-Position event with a score of 691.9.
Columbus State Athletics Department co-hosted the 2011 Rifle National Championship with Fort Benning. This was the first time a national championship was hosted on CSU's campus.
The Lady Cougar soccer team has made 13 consecutive NCAA Tournaments since 2006, just its third season in existence. Columbus State has won or shared 12 of the last 14 Peach Belt Conference regular season championships, making 12 PBC Tournament championship games in that span and winning eight (2006-08, 2010, 2014-16, 2018). Head coach Jay Entlich, a seven-time PBC Coach of the Year (2005, 2008, 2014-18), has guided the Lady Cougars since their 2004 inception.
NCAA Division II Southeast Region Championships (6)
- 2015 - National Runner-Up
- 2016 - National Semifinals
- Columbus State University Brand Identity Guidelines (PDF). Retrieved February 13, 2017.
- "Division II Baseball Championship Results" (PDF). NCAA. NCAA.org. Retrieved January 17, 2016.
- "Division II Baseball Championship Results". NCAA. NCAA.org. Retrieved March 9, 2019.
- Columbus State University: About CSU - Did You Know
- "Ohio Valley Conference Adds Columbus State as Affiliate Member for Rifle" (Press release). Ohio Valley Conference. April 27, 2012. Retrieved September 15, 2013.