Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
Colorado Springs Switchbacks Football Club is a professional soccer team based in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Founded in 2014, the team is a member of the USL Championship, the second tier of the American soccer pyramid. The franchise is owned and operated by Martin Ragain and Ragain Sports, LLC.
|Full name||Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC|
Colorado Springs, Colorado
|Owner||Ragain Sports, LLC|
|Head Coach||Alan Koch|
|2019||18th, Western Conference|
An ownership group from Colorado Springs were awarded a USL Pro franchise on December 5, 2013, with plans to begin play in 2015. The team's name, the "Switchbacks", was announced on January 31, 2014, following a fan contest. The team hired Steve Trittschuh as their head coach on March 11, 2014.
The team plays at Weidner Field, adjacent to UCHealth Park (formerly known as Security Service Field), and in the summer of 2014, started a $3 million renovation of the stadium after the team signed a 10-year lease with the City of Colorado Springs. Located at roughly 6,500 feet above sea-level, the stadium is at the highest elevation of any primary home stadium for a professional team in the American soccer pyramid.
In July 2018, the City of Colorado Springs announced plans to construct a new stadium to be ready for play by the 2021 season. Construction of the 8,000 seater stadium in Downtown Colorado Springs commenced on December 7, 2019. It will cost $35 million, to be funded by city bonds, the club, and a real estate partner.
|Year||Division||League||Regular Season||Playoffs||U.S. Open Cup||Avg. Attendance|
|2015||3||USL||3rd, Western||Conference Semifinals||Fourth Round||2,723|
|2016||3||USL||3rd, Western||Conference Quarterfinals||Fourth Round||3,152|
|2017||2||USL||9th, Western||Did not qualify||Third Round||3,389|
|2018||2||USL||11th, Western||Did not qualify||Third Round||3,804|
|2019||2||USLC||18th, Western||Did not qualify||Third Round||4,005|
First team roster
- As of September 7, 2019
|9||Forward||César Romero (on loan from Motagua)|
- Paisley, Joe (December 2, 2013). "USL soccer franchise coming to Colorado Springs". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved December 8, 2019.
- "Colorado Springs Unveils Club Nickname" (Press release). USL Pro. January 31, 2014. Archived from the original on May 5, 2014. Retrieved December 8, 2019.
- "Switchbacks Name Trittschuh As Coach". United Soccer Leagues (USL). March 11, 2014. Archived from the original on February 15, 2015. Retrieved December 24, 2014.
- Benedetto, Vinny (October 30, 2018). "Switchbacks FC, Colorado Rapids officially reach affiliation agreement". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved December 8, 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-05-03. Retrieved 2014-09-29.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Fox, Dan (July 11, 2006). "Security Service Field: Context Matters". Baseball Prospectus. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Laden, Rich. "Apartment developer buys land next to planned downtown Colorado Springs soccer stadium site". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- Hancock, Amanda (December 7, 2019). "Groundbreaking held for $35 million multi-use stadium in downtown Colorado Springs". Colorado Springs Gazette. Retrieved December 8, 2019.