Colonel Gray High School
Colonel Gray Sr. High School (CGHS), colloquially referred to as "The Gray", is a Canadian secondary school in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Its zone includes students from the central parts of Queens County, in the City of Charlottetown.
|Colonel Gray Senior High School|
175 Spring Park Road
|School type||Public High school|
(Whatever is True)
|School board||Public Schools Branch|
|Colour(s)||Burgundy and Grey|
|Team name||Colonel Gray Colonels|
The school is administratively part of the Public Schools Branch. Its official colours are Burgundy and Gray and the mascot is a Colonel. The sports teams from "The Gray" are called the Colonel Gray Colonels.
History and characteristics
- In 1966 Colonel Gray opened, named after Colonel John Hamilton Gray, former Premier of Prince Edward Island (1863–1865) and chairman of the Confederation conference of 1864.
- In 2008, Colonel Gray was one of three Island schools, and one of ten Canadian schools, to receive a $40,000 HP grant to improve teaching by using technology. The grant was used to enhance teaching math and science at The Gray. HP is committed to innovative educators who are transforming teaching and learning through the effective use of technology.
- In 2009, Colonel Gray High School became an IB World School offering the IB Diploma Programme to students.
- Biology Higher Level
- English A1 Higher Level
- History Higher Level
- Chemistry Standard Level
- French B Standard Level
- French Ab Initio Standard Level
- Math Standard Level
- Visual Arts Standard Level
The school has 80 staff members who offer instruction in grades 10, 11 and 12 for approximately 1000 students. The high school offers both French and English language instruction and the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.
- Over one hundred classrooms most of which contain Smart Boards
- A chemistry lab
- A biology lab
- An automotive shop
- A carpentry shop
- A Student Council office for Student Event planning
- A kitchen which is used to supply lots of in-school events or public speakers or organizations who want to visit the high school
- A lecture theatre
- Four computer labs
- A library
- A gymnasium with a fitness centre
- Specialist instruction space
Sports at Colonel Gray Today
Colonel Gray is home to many sports. Colonel Gray has fields for the following sports: field hockey, soccer/rugby and softball. The fields are shared with Simmons Sports Arena and Queen Charlotte Intermediate School which are both within walking distance. The school is also within walking distance of the Victoria Park tennis courts, outdoor pool, and baseball fields.
Sports offered at Colonel Gray include:
The Wall of Fame Cup
A men's and women's volleyball and soccer tournament hosted in October. Each year several notable Colonel Gray alumni athletes are inducted into the Colonel Gray Wall of Fame at a Dinner hosted at the Holland College Culinary Center.
The Colonel Gray Classic
A Women's basketball tournament hosted in early December by Colonel Gray High which draws schools competing from across the Maritime provinces.
The Gray Cup
A Men's basketball tournament hosted in early December by Colonel Gray High which draws schools competing from across the Maritime provinces.
- Major League Dodgeball Association (run by the Student Council)
- Colonel Gray Ball Hockey Association (run by the Student Council)
- Speed Ball Tournament (run by Colonel Gray Leadership Club)
Clubs and Organizations at Colonel Gray
- Student Council
- Dance Committee
- Yearbook Committee
- Gray Entertainment Television
- Free the Children
- Breakfast Club
- Mosaic Club (a multicultural organization)
- Chess Club
- Drama Club
- Confederation Center Homework Club
- KEY Club
- Political Science Club
- Prom Committee
- Safe Grad
- Terry Fox Run Committee
- Thirty Hour Famine
- Jesus at Gray
- Gay-Straight Alliance
- Archery Club
- Anime Club