Coghlan, Buenos Aires
The Coghlan Train Station, from which the barrio gets its name
Location of Coghlan within Buenos Aires
|Autonomous City||Buenos Aires|
|• Total||1.3 km2 (0.5 sq mi)|
|• Density||15,000/km2 (38,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-3 (ART)|
The 1887 sale of 30 hectares (75 acres) of land to the Mitre Railway led to the railway's extension under the direction of Irish Argentine engineer John Coghlan, in whose honor the train station was named. The sale of residential lots after 1891 led to the rapid growth of what was then a suburb of Buenos Aires and, in 1896, Dr. Ignacio Pirovano opened an emergency hospital, today among the city's public medical facilities.
Coghlan was formally designated as a barrio (borough) in 1968 and is today still a quiet bedroom community known for its big, English style residences.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Coghlan, Buenos Aires.|