Cochise is an unincorporated community located in Cochise County, Arizona, United States. The city was created alongside the Southern Pacific Railroad in the 1880s. The city was primarily a stop for coal and water which were needed for trains at the time. At its peak, the town had a population of approximately 3,000 people. Today, only 50 people still live in Cochise. The town is also home to several historic locations. In 1899, Big Nose Kate, the famed sidekick of Doc Holliday, lived in Cochise while she was working at the Cochise Hotel after Holliday's death.
Cochise in 2014.
Location in the state of Arizona
Cochise, Arizona (the United States)
|Coordinates: 32°06′49″N 109°55′18″W|
|Elevation||4,222 ft (1,287 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST (no DST))|
|GNIS feature ID||3069|
According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Cochise has a semi-arid climate, abbreviated "BSk" on climate maps.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cochise, Arizona.|
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cochise
- "Cochise - Arizona Ghost Town". Retrieved 2006-12-22.
- "Big Nose Kate - Doc Holliday's Sidekick - Page 2". Archived from the original on 2006-11-07. Retrieved 2006-12-22.
- "85606 - Population Finder - American FactFinder". Factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2010-08-04.
- Climate Summary for Cochise, Arizona
- the early history of the town of cochise, arizona; page 9