The Clockmakers' Museum in London, England is a collection of clocks, watches and other horological items which belongs to the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers, which is one of the City of London Livery Companies. Until October 2014 it was housed in a gallery at the Guildhall and admission was free. On 22 October 2015 the new display of the collection was officially opened by Princess Anne at the Science Museum in London, where it can be seen on the second floor. Admission remains free.
Location within Central London
|Location||Science Museum, London|
The Clockmakers' Collection was begun in 1814, and is the oldest collection specifically of clocks and watches in the world. It has been open to the public since 1874. The majority of items in the collection range from c.1600 to c.1850. The most important pieces include the marine timekeepers, in particular the celebrated fifth marine timekeeper completed by John Harrison in 1770 (H5).
- Samuel Atkins, Some Account of the Worshipful Company of Clockmakers (London, 1881), pp. 203-06