Clive Waterhouse

Clive Waterhouse (born 23 June 1974 in England) is a former Australian rules footballer. He played in the Australian Football League (AFL) for the Fremantle Football Club as a half-forward flanker.

Clive Waterhouse
Personal information
Date of birth (1974-06-23) 23 June 1974
Place of birth England
Original team(s) Port Adelaide (SANFL)
Debut Round 3, 14 April 1996, Fremantle
vs. Carlton, at Subiaco Oval
Height 184 cm (6 ft 0 in)
Weight 88 kg (194 lb)
Playing career1
Years Club Games (Goals)
1996–2004 Fremantle 106 (178)
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2004.
Career highlights



Sources: AFL Tables,

Early career

Despite being a late starter to Australian Rules, having mainly played soccer until the age of 17, Waterhouse was the first selection in the 1995 AFL Draft after an outstanding season for Port Adelaide in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL), including being a member of the 1995 premiership team.


Waterhouse made his AFL debut in round 3, 1996 against the reigning premiers Carlton. Despite Carlton being on an 18-game winning streak, Fremantle won by 53 points. Waterhouse was quiet, with only two kicks, but did manage a goal. He vacillated between the Dockers and Swan Districts for the remainder of the year, finishing with 11 AFL games for nine goals, though he did kick nine goals against South Fremantle in the twelfth WAFL round.[1]

1997 and 1998 were inconsistent seasons for Waterhouse, and he was dropped from the team and injured numerous times. Despite only playing 16 games in 1998, Waterhouse was Fremantle's leading goalkicker, with 30 goals.

1999 saw the recruiting of Adelaide Crows star full forward, Tony Modra to Fremantle. Modra and Waterhouse would make a dangerous pairing for the following two seasons, combining for over 100 goals each year. Waterhouse played all bar one game and finished third in the best and fairest award in those two seasons before injuries took their toll from 2001 onwards. He also represented Australia in the International rules series against Ireland in 1999. Round 21, 2000 would be Waterhouse’s greatest on-field moment. In the infamous Demolition Derby against West Coast, Waterhouse sparked a last half comeback from being 42 points behind 6 minutes into the third quarter. His career high seven goals earned him three Brownlow Medal votes and helped Fremantle to their greatest ever comeback to win by 1 point.[2]

Injuries and career decline

A broken collarbone sustained during a pre-season game against Geelong at Fremantle Oval would delay his start to the 2001 season until round 3 and repeated hamstring strains would restrict him to only six games and ten goals for the season. 2002 was even worse, with an anterior cruciate ligament injury also occurring during a preseason game at Fremantle Oval ruling him out for the entire season. Waterhouse made his return to AFL football in round 4, 2003, but he couldn’t recapture his form from 1999 or 2000 and was dropped after kicking only seven goals from eight games. Having played 99 games to this point, and with Fremantle going on to make the finals for the first time, many thought that Clive would be marooned one game short of the century. However, Waterhouse was named to play in the first game of 2004 to reach the milestone. He played a further six games in 2004 for seven goals before being delisted at the end of the season.

Post-AFL career

Waterhouse then returned to Adelaide in 2005 where he continued to play football, rejoining Port Adelaide in the SANFL and becoming the team's leading goalscorer for 2005 with 71 goals.

In 2007 Waterhouse again injured his anterior cruciate ligament while playing in the SANFL.

Wearing Guernsey number 26 from throughout his AFL career, he was the first player to score 100 goals for Fremantle. He retired with 178 goals, a then-club record (until Matthew Pavlich surpassed this in 2006).


  1. Casellas, Ken (24 June 1996). "Clark Set for Higher Honours". The Game. The West Australian. p. 11.
  2. Robinson, Chris (26 June 2014). "Unlikely derby heroes: Clive Waterhouse helps Fremantle Dockers come back from the dead in 2000". PerthNow.
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.