Clinton, Lenawee County, Michigan
Location within Lenawee County
Location within the state of Michigan
|Coordinates: 42°4′14″N 83°58′20″W|
|• Total||1.87 sq mi (4.84 km2)|
|• Land||1.83 sq mi (4.75 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.09 km2)|
|Elevation||837 ft (255 m)|
|• Density||1,247.00/sq mi (481.39/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0623474|
|Website||Village of Clinton|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.88 square miles (4.87 km2), of which 1.84 square miles (4.77 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 2,336 people, 939 households, and 643 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,269.6 inhabitants per square mile (490.2/km2). There were 1,053 housing units at an average density of 572.3 per square mile (221.0/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 96.6% White, 0.2% African American, 0.5% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.4% of the population.
There were 939 households of which 37.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.6% were married couples living together, 14.3% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 31.5% were non-families. 27.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 3.04.
The median age in the village was 37.2 years. 27% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.5% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.6% were from 25 to 44; 26.1% were from 45 to 64; and 12.6% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 47.1% male and 52.9% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,293 people, 925 households, and 624 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,533.8 per square mile (594.2/km²). There were 965 housing units at an average density of 645.5 per square mile (250.1/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 98.52% White, .13% African American, .22% Native American, .13% Asian, .44% from other races, and .57% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.66% of the population.
There were 925 households out of which 33.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.0% were married couples living together, 12.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.5% were non-families. 27.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the village, the population was spread out with 27.3% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 31.2% from 25 to 44, 20.7% from 45 to 64, and 13.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.7 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $47,961, and the median income for a family was $52,111. Males had a median income of $45,750 versus $29,500 for females. The per capita income for the village was $20,513. About 4.1% of families and 6.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.9% of those under age 18 and 3.3% of those age 65 or over.
Clinton has a school system (Clinton Community Schools) with approximately 1,200 students attending grades K-12.
The Southern Michigan Railroad Society, an operating railroad museum, is based in Clinton.
- Community History, Village of Clinton, accessed 2008-05-09
- "2017 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jan 3, 2019.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Clinton, Lenawee County, Michigan
- Romig 1986, p. 121.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Village of Clinton
- Lenawee County government site
- Complete text of History of Lenawee County published in 1909 by the Western Historical Society
- Lenawee County Conference & Visitors Bureau
- Southern Michigan Railroad Society
- Historical Society of Clinton
- The Clinton Local Newspaper