Clichy (French pronunciation: [kli.ʃi], sometimes unofficially Clichy-la-Garenne) is a commune in the northwestern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located on the Seine River and 6.4 km (4.0 mi) from the center of Paris.
The church of Saint-Vincent-de-Paul, in Clichy
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 48°54′16″N 2°18′23″E|
|• Mayor (2015–2020)||Rémi Muzeau|
|3.08 km2 (1.19 sq mi)|
|• Density||20,000/km2 (51,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Located in Clichy are the headquarters of the L'Oréal Group, the world's largest company in cosmetics and beauty; Bic, one of the biggest pen producers in the world; and Sony France, a large electronics and media company.
The name Clichy was recorded for the first time in the 6th century as Clippiacum, later corrupted into Clichiacum, meaning "estate of Cleppius", a Gallo-Roman landowner.
In the 13th century, the plain of Clichy was used as a garenne ("warren" in English), i.e. a hunting park and game preserve for the exclusive use of the king or a lord. Clichy became known as Clichy-la-Garenne ("Clichy the Warren" or preserve).
Between 1793 and 1795, during the French Revolution, Clichy-la-Garenne was renamed Clichy-la-Patriote (meaning "Clichy the Patriot"), perhaps because the word garenne reminded people of the feudal privileges that the new government abolished in 1789.
After the Revolution, the French administration officially recorded the name of the commune only as Clichy, dropping the "la-Garenne". This is the term in use in the 21st century. But, in many instances the municipality of Clichy refers to the commune traditionally as Clichy-la-Garenne, although this has not been the official name for more than 200 years.
In 1830, part of the territory of Clichy was detached and became the commune of Batignolles-Monceau. On 1 January 1860, the city of Paris annexed neighboring communes, taking most of Batignolles-Monceau, which now forms the major part of the 17th arrondissement of Paris. A small part of the territory of Batignolles-Monceau was returned to Clichy.
The canton covers a part of the commune; the other is in the northern part of Levallois-Perret.
- Collège Jean Jaurès
- Collège Jean Macé
- Collège Vincent Van Gogh
The senior high schools:
- Lycée Newton
- Lycée René Auffray
- Olivier Messiaen, French composer, died here.
- Henry Miller, American author, lived with Alfred Perlès at 4 avenue Anatole France from 1932 to 1934.
- Jean-Luc Rougé, 1975 world Judo champion
- Audrey Bruneau, handball player
- Carlos (singer), singer
- Rochel Chery, basketball player
- Claude Dielna footballer
- Vincent Doukantie footballer
- Gwladys Epangue taekwondo
- Jeremy Helan footballer
- Julian Jeanvier, footballer
- Moustapha Keita, footballer
- Souleymane M'Baye boxer
- Windsor Noncent footballer
- Steed Tchicamboud basketball player
- Jacques Mesrine, French criminal, known as the French Robin Hood
- Thomas Piketty Economist
- Jeanine Claes artist, dancer, choreographer and dance teacher
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 5 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 507..
- "Jumelage". ville-clichy.fr (in French). Clichy. Retrieved 2019-11-12.
- "World Presence." L'Oréal. Retrieved on 14 July 2010.
- "Informations légales Archived 2010-02-09 at the Wayback Machine." Monoprix. Retrieved on 4 February 2010.
- "Legal Notice." Bic. Retrieved on 7 February 2011. "Head office : 14, rue Jeanne d’Asnières 92611 Clichy cedex, France."
- L.C. "Le siège de la Fnac pressenti Archived 2012-10-29 at the Wayback Machine." Le Parisien. 2 November 2006. Retrieved on 10 March 2010. "Et c'est le siège social de la Fnac qui aurait décroché la timbale. Actuellement installé à Clichy-la-Garenne (Hauts-de-Seine), le siège de l'agitateur culturel chercherait à déménager.
- "150 salariés de la Fnac arrivent encore à Ivry Archived 2012-08-06 at the Wayback Machine." Le Parisien. 17 June 2008. Retrieved on 10 March 2010. "HIER, c'était le dernier jour d'aménagement au nouveau siège social de la Fnac, au bord de la Seine à Ivry-Port." and "Ils rejoignent ainsi les 850 autres employés qui sont déjà installés depuis le début du mois à Ivry."
- "Education > Les établissements." Clichy, Hauts-de-Seine. Retrieved on September 4, 2016.
- Kreg Wallace, Clichy (ave. Anatole France) Archived 2014-05-08 at the Wayback Machine, Walking Paris with Henry Miller. Retrieved on 7 May 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clichy.|