Clermont, Capitale-Nationale, Quebec
Coat of arms
Location within Charlevoix-Est RCM.
Location in central Quebec.
|Coordinates: 47°41′N 70°14′W|
|Constituted||February 16, 1935|
|• Mayor||Jean-Pierre Gagnon|
|• Federal riding||Beauport—Côte-de-Beaupré—Île d'Orléans—Charlevoix|
|• Prov. riding||Charlevoix–Côte-de-Beaupré|
|• Total||52.30 km2 (20.19 sq mi)|
|• Land||51.59 km2 (19.92 sq mi)|
|• Density||69.8/km2 (181/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2011-2016|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||418 and 581|
Around 1800, the first settlers moved into the area, living primarily of agriculture. Followed by a saw and flour mill, tradeshops, and stores, a settlement grew that was then known as Chute Nairne. At the close of the century, the place attracted attention for its hydro-electric potential, and by 1900, a dam was built across the Malbaie River, supplying electricity to La Malbaie and surrounding area.
In 1909, Rodolphe Forget founded the East Canada Power and Pulp Company, and wanting to profit from the phenomenal growth in the pulp and paper market, he built Chute Nairne's first paper mill in 1911. The industrial development changed the place from a rural and agricultural society to a rapidly growing urban community.
Félix-Antoine Savard, famous Québécois author and at that time priest of the Parish of Saint-Étienne in La Malbaie, was also responsible for Chute Nairne. His parishioners there were upset about being left a bit to themselves and about being far away from the parish church. Savard, at the request of residents of Chute Nairne, petitioned the bishop of Chicoutimi, Charles Lamarche, to obtain permission for a new parish and church. The request was accepted on September 18, 1931, and the Parish of Saint-Philippe-de-la-Chute-Nairn was formed.
On February 16, 1935, the place separated from La Malbaie and was incorporated as a municipality, officially adopting the name Clermont for the new municipality. Félix-Antoine Savard greatly admired and paid tribute to Blaise Pascal who came from Clermont-Ferrand in France.
|Historical Census Data - Clermont (Capitale-Nationale), Quebec|
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 1,394 (total dwellings: 1,437)
- English as first language: 0.3%
- French as first language: 99.4%
- English and French as first language: 0.3%
- Other as first language: 0%
Clermont's economy centres on the Abitibi-Bowater paper mill, formerly the Donohue mill that was founded in 1936 by the brothers Timothy and Charles Donohue and employed close to a thousand people in the 1970s.
The location of the city of Clermont makes it conducive to outdoor activities of all kinds. First, the fishermen are pampered because of the presence of a salmon river; the Malbaie River. Moreover, this river is the central point of various activities including the Festival of Fishing . Other outdoor activities are also feasible such as hiking. An ice hockey arena is available for ice hockey and ice skating enthusiasts. The city of Clermont also hosts the Boomerang Charlevoix, a team of the Hockey League Beauce-Bellechasse-Frontenac.
Crater of Charlevoix
Curious and science lovers will certainly want to explore and understand the crater of Charlevoix in which the city of Clermont is located. The crater of Charlevoix is a meteorite crater of 56 kilometres (35 mi) created 350 million years ago by the impact of a meteorite of 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) in diameter.In July and August, from Baie Saint-Paul, it is possible to participate daily in guided tours of the crater organized by a non-profit scientific organization. These visits reveal the geology of the region, the origin of the crater, the human developments made possible by the crater and the region's diverse flora, which is also the result of the presence of the crater. During the rest of the year, the same visits are organized on request.
Monument Alexis Lapointe (said the Trotteur)
The August 8th, 2010, a monument of the artist Léonce Émond was inaugurated at the Des Berges City Park of Clermont, near the Malbaie River, to evoke the memory of Alexis Lapointe (known as "The Trotter") (1860-1924 ). The latter was reputed to be one of the greatest runners of his time.
The Malbaie River, which crosses the city of Clermont towards the South, is a great attraction for recreational tourism activities, such as salmon fishing or landlocked salmon. A bike path generally in wooded area runs along the west bank of the Malbaie River passing in particular in the municipal park Des Berges, bypassing some small bodies of water and the water treatment center, to the bridge spanning the river.
- "Clermont (Ville)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire - Répertoire des municipalités: Clermont Archived 2015-12-11 at the Wayback Machine
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Clermont census profile
- "Informations municipales >> Historique de la ville" (in French). Ville de Clermont. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census