Claytor Lake State Park

Claytor Lake State Park is a 472-acre (191 ha) state park in Pulaski County, Virginia. The park is located on Claytor Lake, a 4,500-acre (18 km2), 21-mile-long (34 km) reservoir on the New River formed by Claytor Dam, which is used to generate hydroelectric power by the Appalachian Power Company. The reservoir is named for W. Graham Claytor (1886–1971) of nearby Roanoke, a former vice president of Appalachian Power who supervised construction of the dam and creation of the lake.

Claytor Lake State Park
Photo of morning at Claytor Lake State Park, Virginia, USA
Location of Claytor Lake State Park in Virginia
Claytor Lake State Park (the United States)
LocationPulaski County, Virginia, USA
Coordinates37°3′32″N 80°37′42″W
Area472 acres (191 ha)
Governing bodyVirginia Department of Conservation and Recreation

Claytor Lake State Park has hiking trails, a freshwater swimming beach, boating and fishing opportunities, a full-service marina, visitor center, concession, lakeside cabins, camping with full hookups, interpretive programs and six rental shelters accommodating large groups. In addition to this, many housing projects have been created around the area due to the enticing lake-front properties.

The Haven B. Howe House is used as a Nature Exhibit Center that focuses on the lake’s wildlife habitat.[1] It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.[2]

References

  1. Marc C. Wagner and Jean O. McRae (April 2005). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Haven B. Howe House" (PDF). Virginia Department of Historic Resources.
  2. "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.


This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.