Clayton is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Stevens County, Washington, United States. It is located along U.S. Route 395 4.5 miles (7.2 km) northwest of Deer Park, and has a post office with ZIP code 99110.
|Coordinates: 47°59′4″N 117°33′30″W|
|Elevation||2,254 ft (687 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific (PST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1504000|
Clayton was founded in 1889 and was named for nearby clay deposits. The Washington Brick Company was established in 1893. It, along with most of the town, was lost to a catastrophic fire in 1908, but the town rebuilt, and the new Washington Brick, Lime, and Sewer Pipe company became noted for its high-quality products, including beautiful decorative terra cotta panels, which were crafted largely by skilled artisans who had immigrated to Washington from northern Italy.
Clayton was listed as a census-designated place for the 2010 census and has a population of 443. The median household income is about $32,000. The average annual temperature is about 47 °F, which is approximately 7 °F lower than the average temperature throughout the United States. The average age of residents is 28 years old, 9 years younger than the U.S. average.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Clayton, Washington
- ZIP Code Lookup Archived 2012-09-10 at the Wayback Machine
- Majors, Harry M. (1975). Exploring Washington. Van Winkle Publishing Co. p. 111. ISBN 978-0-918664-00-6.
- "The WA Brick & Lime Company", by Jack Nisbet,Inlander, Apr25 2002.http://www.inlander.com/spokane/the-wa-brick-and-ampamp-lime-company/Content?oid=217420 retvd 12 27 14
- "Clayton Census Designated Place". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Clayton, WA". usa.com. World Media Group, LLC. Retrieved 12 April 2014.