Clara Petacci, known as Claretta Petacci (Italian: [klaˈretta peˈtattʃi]; 28 February 1912 – 28 April 1945), was a mistress of the Italian dictator Benito Mussolini, and was executed with him by partisans.
|Born||28 February 1912|
|Died||28 April 1945 33) (aged|
Giulino di Mezzegra, Italy
|Known for||Being the mistress of Benito Mussolini|
|Relatives||Miriam di San Servolo (sister)|
Clara Petacci's father was Dr. Francesco Petacci, primary physician of Pope Pius XI. Her sister was actress Miriam di San Servolo (31 May 1923 – 24 May 1991), also known as Miriam Petacci or Miriam Day. Petacci's brother, Marcello Petacci, was captured with Mussolini and Petacci. However, rather than being executed in Dongo, he was shot while trying to escape.
Relationship with Mussolini
Petacci had a long-standing relationship with Mussolini while he was married to Rachele Mussolini. Petacci was 28 years younger than Mussolini.
On 28 April, she and Mussolini were taken to Mezzegra and shot. On the following day, the bodies of Mussolini and Petacci were taken to the Piazzale Loreto in Milan and hung upside down in front of a petrol station. The bodies were photographed as a crowd vented their rage upon them.
In popular culture
- Claretta, 1984 film starring Claudia Cardinale
- Other films
- The American Punk Rock band Against Me! reference Petacci's execution in their song "Osama bin Laden as the Crucified Christ" from their 2014 album Transgender Dysphoria Blues
- The American musician Scott Walker recorded a song about Petacci called "Clara" on his 2006 album The Drift
- Mussolini: The Untold Story, 1985 TV-miniseries featured Virginia Madsen as Petacci
- Mussolini and I, in which she is played by Barbara De Rossi
- (in Spanish) Giuseppina Persichetti, La enamorada de Mussolini, Madrid, Ediciones Caballero Audaz, 1947.
- (in Italian) Giampiero Buonomo, Quel carteggio tra Mussolini e la Petacci. Storici sacrificati sull’altare della privacy, in Diritto e giustizia, 16 luglio 2005.
- Gunther Langes, Auf Wiedersehen Claretta. Il diario dell'uomo che poteva salvare Mussolini e la Petacci, a cura di Nico Pirozzi, Villaricca, Edizioni Cento Autori, 2012. ISBN 978-88-97121-37-4.
- "Death of the Father-Mussolini & Fascist Italy: the 'infamous' exhibit". Cornell Institute for Digital Collections. 1999.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Clara Petacci.|
- Nicholas Farrell, Mussolini: A New Life (Phoenix Press, London, 2003) ISBN 1-84212-123-5
- Luciano Garibaldi, Mussolini: The Secrets of His Death (Enigma Books, New York, 2004) ISBN 1-929631-23-5
- Ray Moseley, Mussolini: The Last 600 Days of Il Duce (Taylor Trade Publishing, Dallas, 2004) ISBN 1-58979-095-2
- Rudolph S. Daldin "The Last Centurion" Volumes I&II ISBN 0-921447-34-5
- R.J.B. Bosworth "Claretta: Mussolini's Last Lover" ISBN 978-0300214277