Cinema of Eritrea
The history of cinema in Eritrea dates back to the country's colonial rule under the Kingdom of Italy. In connection with the growth of Italian cinema in the 1930s, so did the rise of cinema in Asmara, Eritrea. In 1937, Asmara's Opera was converted into a dual-use theatre and cinema. By the following year, Asmara had a total of nine movie theatres.
The Italian missionary film was first introduced in a 1922 work produced in the country by Capuchin monks collaborating with the colonial government. Despite the country's independence, film screenings in Eritrea are mostly still confined to English and Italian language movies.
- Plastow, Jane (29 June 2016). "Teatro Asmara: understanding Eritrean drama through a study of the national theatre". Journal of African Cultural Studies. 29 (3): 311–330. doi:10.1080/13696815.2016.1201759. Retrieved 23 November 2019 – via EBSCOHost.
- Indira, Mannar; Lakshmi, P. Vijaya (2012). "Global Television and Eritrean Society" (PDF). Indian Journal of Media Studies. Tirupati: Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam. 6 (1&2). ISSN 0972-9348. Retrieved 24 November 2019 – via Researchgate.net.
- Piredda, Maria Francesca (2013). "Cinema and Popular Preaching: the Italian Missionary Film and Fiamme". In Bayman, Louis; Rigoletto, Sergio (eds.). Popular Italian Cinema (PDF). Palgrave Macmillan. pp. 214–215. ISBN 978-0-230-30016-3. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- Abraham, Tedros (8 July 2009). "Eritrean Film Production: Its Challenges and Prospects Part I". Shaebia. People's Front for Democracy and Justice. Archived from the original on 12 January 2011. Retrieved 24 November 2019.
- Darley, Gillian (19 November 2019). "The modernist marvels of Eritrea". Apollo Magazine. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Old German caves, Poland silver mines make UN heritage list". Fox News. Associated Press. 9 July 2017. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- Plastow, Jane (15 January 2009). "Theatre of Conflict in the Eritrean Independence Struggle". New Theatre Quarterly. Cambridge University Press. 13 (50): 144–154. doi:10.1017/S0266464X00011003.
- Sherman, Richard (1980). "The Rise Of Eritrean Nationalism". Northeast African Studies. 2/3 (3/1): 121–129. ISSN 0740-9133. Retrieved 23 November 2019 – via JSTOR.