Cinema of Cyprus
Cypriot cinema refers to the cinema of Cyprus, which was born much later than the cinema of other countries.
|Cinema of Cyprus|
Movie XD 6D cinema in Nicosia
|No. of screens||30 (2011)|
|• Per capita||2.9 per 100,000 (2011)|
|Main distributors||Four Stars Films 40.7%|
Odeon Cyprus 23.3%
|Produced feature films (2011)|
|Number of admissions (2011)|
|• Per capita||1 (2012)|
|Gross box office (2011)|
In the late 1960s and early 1970s, George Filis produced and directed Gregoris Afxentiou, Etsi Prodothike i Kypros, and The Mega Document. In 1994, Cypriot film production received a boost with the establishment of the Cinema Advisory Committee. In 2000, the annual amount set aside for filmmaking in the national budget was CYP£500,000 (about €850,000). In addition to government grants, Cypriot co-productions are eligible for funding from the Council of Europe's Eurimages Fund, which finances European film co-productions. To date, four feature films on which a Cypriot was an executive producer have received funding from Eurimages. The first was I Sphagi tou Kokora (1996), followed by Hellados (unreleased), To Tama (1999), and O Dromos gia tin Ithaki (2000).
In 2009, Greek filmmaker Vassilis Mazomenos shot the drama film Guilt in Cyprus. The film was awarded the Best Screenwriting and Best Photography award at the London Greek Film Festival, and was an official selection in the Montreal World Film Festival, Cairo International Film Festival, India International Film Festival, Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival, and Fantasporto. It was also the opening film in the Panorama of European Cinema in Athens. In 2010, the film was nominated for the best film from the Hellenic Film Academy.
In 2018, Marios Piperides received critical reviews at Sarajevo Film Festival and Tribeca Film Festival, with Smuggling Hendrix. Notably, the most renowned Cypriot director to date is Michael Cacoyannis with the renowned Zorba the Greek (film)
- Cinema of the world
- World cinema
- Cyprus International Film Festival
- Culture of Cyprus
- Culture of Greece
- Culture of Turkey
- List of Greek actors
- List of Turkish actors
- Cinema of Greece
- Cinema of Turkey
- List of Cypriot films
- History of Cyprus
- Peter Polycarpou
- Derviş Zaim
- Michael Cacoyannis
- Nicolas Economou
- "Table 8: Cinema Infrastructure - Capacity". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Table 6: Share of Top 3 distributors (Excel)". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Table 1: Feature Film Production - Genre/Method of Shooting". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Table 11: Exhibition - Admissions & Gross Box Office (GBO)". UNESCO Institute for Statistics. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "Country Profiles". Europa Cinemas. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "Film Birth – History of Cinema – Cyprus Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine".
- "Smuggling Hendrix (2018)
- "Variety: Film Review: ‘Smuggling Hendrix’
- "CineEuropa: Smuggling Hendrix