The de Havilland C.24 was a two-seat autogyro built by de Havilland at its Stag Lane works in England in 1931, using a Cierva rotor head coupled to the cabin of a de Havilland DH.80A Puss Moth, and driven by a 120 hp Gipsy III engine. It was withdrawn from use by December 1934.
|de Havilland C.24 at the de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre|
|Designer||Juan de la Cierva|
|First flight||September 1931|
A single example (G-ABLM) was produced and is part of the Science Museum collection. Since 2008 it has been on loan to the Mosquito Aircraft Museum at Salisbury Hall, near London Colney in Hertfordshire. In flight, it had a maximum speed of about 115 mph (185 km/h; 100 kn).
- Crew: 2
- Length: 20 ft 0 in (6.10 m)
- Main rotor diameter: 34 ft 0 in (10.36 m)
- Empty weight: 1,280 lb (955 kg)
- Gross weight: 1,800 lb (1,343 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × de Havilland Gipsy III 4-cylinder inverted air-cooled inline, 120 hp (90 kW)
- Maximum speed: 115 mph (185 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 100 mph (164 km/h)
- Range: 350 miles (563 km)
- Jackson 1978, pp. 524
- "UK Certificate of Registration No. 3138, 22 April 1931" (PDF). UK Civil Aviation Authority. Archived from the original (PDF) on 6 June 2011. Retrieved 11 January 2009.
- Jackson, A.J. (1978). de Havilland Aircraft since 1909. London: Putnam Publishing. ISBN 0-370-30022-X.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cierva C.24.|
- Hearst Magazines (March 1932). "This Autogyro Equals Speed of Ordinary Airplane". Popular Mechanics. Hearst Magazines. p. 389.