Ci Kaengan (Cikaengan; Sundanese "Ci" means "river", so the whole name means "Kaengan River"; also written as “Ci Kaingan”; Indonesian: Sungai Cikaengan) is a river in the island of Java, Indonesia, that flows mainly in the Garut Regency of West Java province, about 210 km to the southeast of the capital Jakarta.
Tjikaingan, Chi Kaengan
Tji Kaingan, Ci Kaingan
Location of the mouth
Ci Kaengan (Indonesia)
The river flows from the Mount Cikuray and discharges into the Indian Ocean at the Cikaengan Beach of Garut Regency, at the border to the Tasikmalaya Regency. In 2016 two Microhydroelectric power stations were built utilizing this river producing about 12 megawatts of electricity.
The water debit is not quite large, but the water is relatively free from industrial pollution due to its situation in the traditional agricultural area. This led to the establishment of a river tubing attraction in the District of Banjarwangi.
The river flows in the southwest area of Java with predominantly tropical rainforest climate (designated as Af in the Köppen-Geiger climate classification). The annual average temperature in the area is 23 °C. The warmest month is April, when the average temperature is around 24 °C, and the coldest is September, at 22 °C. The average annual rainfall is 3730 mm. The wettest month is December, with an average of 542 mm rainfall, and the driest is September, with 61 mm rainfall.
The watershed (Indonesian: Daerah aliran sungai or DAS) Cikaengan together with Cilaki river form the Southern Watershed Area of Garut Regency, as it flows to the south. The rivers in the area are generally short, narrow and with more valleys compared to the northern area (Cimanuk river flowing to the Sea of Java to the north).
Microhydroelectric Power Stations
The flow that is seldom low during dry season makes the river useful to be developed into microhydroelectric renewable energy source, Two projects have been started by some companies: PT Petro Hidro Optima (PLTM Cikaengan 5,1 MW), and PT Cikaengan Tirta Energi (PLTM Cikaengan 2 dengan daya 7,2 MW).
A part of the river is developed into “River Tubing Cikaengan” in the District of Banjarwangi, Garut Regency, since November 2016. The mid level difficulty of the river boarding class allows safe use for novices.
- Rand McNally, The New International Atlas, 1993.
- Ci Kaengan at Geonames.org (cc-by); Last updated 2012-01-17; Database dump downloaded 2015-11-27
- Wisata Cikaengan, Spot River Tubing di Garut. Royjavanis. June 15, 2017.
- (in Indonesian) Sungai Cikaengan Garut Selatan. Rendy Komunika. Om Gun. 27 July 2013.
- PLN Beli Listrik dari 7 Pembangkit Mikrohidro. Liputan 6. Pebrianto Eko Wicaksono. 24 Mei 2016.
- PLTM Andalan Pembangkit EBT. Media Indonesia. Tesa Oktiana, 25 May 2016.
- Cikaengan, Spot River Tubing di Garut yang Lagi Hits. Husni Cahya Gumilar. Zona Libur. Diakses 27 Juli 2017.
- Peel, M C; Finlayson, B L; McMahon, T A (2007). "Updated world map of the Köppen-Geiger climate classification". Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 11. doi:10.5194/hess-11-1633-2007.
- "NASA Earth Observations Data Set Index". NASA. 30 January 2016.
- "NASA Earth Observations: Rainfall (1 month - TRMM)". NASA/Tropical Rainfall Monitoring Mission. 30 January 2016.
- Sumber Daya Air - Garut Regency. Accessed 26 July 2017.
- Data Sungai dan Anak Sungai - Dinas Sumber Daya Air dan Pertambangan Kabupaten Garut. 2015.