Location within Antoine-Labelle RCM
Location in central Quebec
|Coordinates: 46°39′N 75°14′W|
|Constituted||October 26, 1940|
|• Mayor||Normand St-Amour|
|• Federal riding||Laurentides—Labelle|
|• Prov. riding||Labelle|
|• Total||321.40 km2 (124.09 sq mi)|
|• Land||298.73 km2 (115.34 sq mi)|
|• Density||3.0/km2 (8/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
The village is located in a fairly flat valley surrounded by a mountainous area of the Laurentian Hills that are dominated by mixed forest.
The settlement initially had the name Chute-Leon at the beginning of the 20th century, in memory of Pope Leo XIII (1810-1903), and was called Victoria Falls by 1903, in honour of Queen Victoria (1819-1901).
In 1921, a mission was founded here with Philip the Apostle as its patron saint. In 1934, the place was renamed to Chute-Saint-Philippe, taking its name from a drop on the Kiamika River and the patron saint. In 1966, the mission received its status as a parish.
- Population in 2011: 892 (2006 to 2011 population change: 0.2%)
- Population in 2006: 890
- Population in 2001: 823
- Population in 1996: 778
- Population in 1991: 698
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 424 (total dwellings: 860)
- English as first language: 2.3%
- French as first language: 94.3%
- English and French as first language: 0%
- Other as first language: 3.4%
- "Chute-Saint-Philippe (Municipalité)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-08-26.
- Geographic code 79065 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Chute-Saint-Philippe census profile
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
Media related to Chute-Saint-Philippe at Wikimedia Commons