Church of the Apostles, Launceston
|Church of the Apostles|
|Church of the Twelve Apostles|
Church of the Apostles
|Location||44 Margaret Street, |
|Dedication||Mary, Queen of the Apostles|
|Consecrated||7 November 1866|
|Architect(s)||Henry Hunter, Alexander North, Peter Staunton|
|Years built||1866 (nave and aisles)|
1888 (transept, sanctuary & sacristies)
1989 (bell tower & spire)
|Groundbreaking||15 September 1864|
|Archdiocese||Archdiocese of Hobart|
In 1838 a temporary chapel had been erected in Cameron Street for the local Catholic community, which up to that moment had no fixed place of worship in the city. In the same year the government granted the Catholics a site in Margaret Street, "at the foot of the Cataract Hill", for the construction of a permanent building, a chapel dedicated to Saint Joseph.
The foundation stone for the St Joseph's church was laid on 19 March 1839 by Rev. Gentleman, and the church was inaugurated in October 1842. Two decades later, St. Joseph's Church began to show signs of decay, and it was decided to replace it with a larger church.
Church of the Apostles
The plans for the new church were drawn by the Tasmanian architect Henry Hunter, and the foundation stone was laid on 15 September 1864 by Bishop Willson. By October 1866 the nave and two aisles had already been built, and on the 7th November the church was solemnly opened for religious purposes by Rev. Murphy, Bishop of Hobart. The church was dedicated to Mary, Queen of the Apostles.
Construction of the North section, encompassing the transept, sanctuary and sacristies, began several years later. Bishop Murphy laid the foundation stone on 17 June 1888. By then, Hunter was living in Brisbane and the task was entrusted to architect Alexander North. A foundation stone for the tower was laid in May 1889, but it wasn't finished until a century later. Designed by Melbourne architect Peter Staunton, the bell tower and spire were installed in 1989.
The church conserves its original stone high altar. The pulpit, made from blackwood and huon pine, was the work of Timothy Earley. The church's pipe organ, in two flanking columns, was dedicated in 1933.
- "St Joseph's Catholic Church, Launceston". 26 June 2015.
- Tamara McDonald (7 May 2016). "Church of the Apostles celebrates 150 years". The Examiner.
- "CATHOLIC CHURCH - Centenary Tomorrow Of First Building In Launceston". The Mercury. 18 March 1939.
- "On Tuesday morning the Rev. Gentleman will lay the foundation stone of a new Catholic chapel, to be erected at the foot of the Cataract Hill". The Cornwall Chronicle. 16 March 1839.
- "Roman Catholic Petition". The Colonial Times. 18 October 1842.
- "HERITAGE TREASURES - Church of the Apostles". Archdiocese of Hobart.
- "OPENING OF THE CHURCH OF THE APOSTLES". Launceston Examiner. 8 November 1866.