Christopher Derek Hacon mathematician with British, Italian and US nationalities. He is currently distinguished professor of mathematics at the University of Utah where he holds a Presidential Endowed Chair. His research interests include algebraic geometry.(born 14 February 1970) is a
Christopher Hacon at Oberwolfach in 2008
Christopher Derek Hacon
14 February 1970
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Children||Stefan Jovanovic-Hacon, Ana Jovanovic-Hacon, Aleksandar (Sasha) Jovanovic-Hacon, Kristina Jovanovic-Hacon, Daniela Jovanovic-Hacon, Marko Jovanovic-Hacon|
|Awards||Clay Research Award (2007)|
Cole Prize (2009)
Feltrinelli Prize (2011)
Breakthrough Prize (2018)
|Institutions||University of Utah|
|Thesis||Seshadri Constants of Ample Vector Bundles Divisors on Principally Polarized Abelian Varieties (1998)|
|Doctoral advisor||Robert Lazarsfeld|
Hacon was born in Manchester, but grew up in Italy where he studied at the Scuola Normale Superiore and received a degree in mathematics at the University of Pisa in 1992. He received his doctorate from the University of California, Los Angeles in 1998, under supervision of Robert Lazarsfeld.
Awards and honors
In 2007 he was awarded a Clay Research Award for his work, joint with James McKernan, on "the birational geometry of algebraic varieties in dimension greater than three, in particular, for [an] inductive proof of the existence of flips."
In 2009 he was awarded the Cole Prize for outstanding contribution to algebra, along with McKernan.
In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
In 2012 he became a Simons Investigator.
In 2018 he was elected to the National Academy of Sciences.
In 2019, he was elected to the Royal Society.
- As Hacon states in his Curriculum Vitae
- "Clay Research Awards". Clay Mathematics Institute.
- "2009 Cole Prize in Algebra" (PDF).
- "ICM Plenary and Invited Speakers since 1897". International Congress of Mathematicians.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-19.
- Simons Investigators Awardees, The Simons Foundation
- AMS Moore Prize, retrieved 2015-12-01.
- 2017 Fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, retrieved 2017-12-1.
- Breakthrough Prize, retrieved 2017-4-12.
- "Distinguished scientists elected as Fellows and Foreign Members of the Royal Society | Royal Society". royalsociety.org. Retrieved 18 April 2019.