Christmas Vol. 2
|Christmas Vol. 2|
|Released||23 November 2018|
|Genre||Contemporary Christian music, Christmas music|
|One Man In the Midlle|
|New Release Today|
|365 Days of Inspiring Media|
Awarding the album four stars at CCM Magazine, Andrew Greenhalgh states, "Big, powerful vocals lead off the familiar strains of “O Come All Ye Faithful” before the thumping bass notes drop and give the classic a new bit of R&B flavored energy. “The First Noel” follows suit, harnessing a slow jam vibe that gives way to some smooth hip-hop rhymes while “O Holy Night” is delivered faithfully, letting the lyric shine over a sparse arrangement. Hunt's original, “Light Of The World,” closes out the set with a slickly produced pop vibe and further hip-hop influences with a lyric that reminds listeners of who Christ truly is." Tony Cummings, indicating in a nine out of ten review from Cross Rhythms, says, "If you're after a version of "O Come All Ye Faithful" that forgets all thoughts of traditional hymnody but gives the ancient German carol a funky pop arrangement, the opener on this latest EP from the prolific Australian/American aggregation is well worth investigating. The female lead and the ultra-tight jazzy funk version of the carol work particularly well. The other re-imagined carols here don't quite reach that standard though the male-led "The First Noel" with an unexpected rap section is fun while "O Holy Night" with such a beautiful melody is given an appropriately slow and reverential arrangement. This EP closes with an original "Light Of The World" which has already been picking up radio play for Planetshakers. Yep, an impressive Yuletide offering." Rob Allwright, indicating in a seven and a half review of ten stars by One Man In the Midlle, says, "So the album kicks off with "O Come All Ye Faithful" which opens with the familiar reprise of "O Come Let Us Adore Him" with more autotune than is strictly necessary! This builds into a upbeat and dance version of the popular carol, although it sticks with the traditional tune and doesn't add much extra. I quite like this rendition actually although I would have to be in the right mood for it. The next track that they have chosen for this EP is "The First Noel" which starts off quiet gently with piano before the extra effects get added, but the vocal is nice and clear and straight forward. Unfortunately someone decided that it would be a good idea to introduce some rap into this song, but in my opinion it doesn't work or fit and sounds like the sort of thing that you might come up with as a teenager and think sounds really great and cool, but actually just sounds more like a wannabee. Additionally after this section the rapper continues through the track with a lot of "uh-ha" and "come on" which continues to emphasise how out of place it actually it is!." Rating the album four stars by New Release Today, Jake Frederick describes, Final Word: "Christmas, Vol. 2 is a great album to help celebrate the season. The fresh take on the classic carols will keep this EP a part of Christmas collections in the years to come." Joshua Andre, specifying in a four and a half star review for 365 Days of Inspiring Media, replies, Overall an enjoyable EP that continues my reinvigorated interest for Planetshakers a bit more; this track list has certainly taken me by surprise, well musically at least, of what the band is capable of. Even though the album still is more electronic than it needs to be; Planetshakers have nonetheless done Australia proud with their latest Christmas anthems and dance melodies, full of inspiring messages and uplifting lyrics about Jesus! Well done Planetshakers for creating a short but impactful set of songs that are sure to be repeated on many iTunes playlists! I can't wait for Christmas Vol. 3... or a full-length Christmas album- whichever comes first!
|1.||"O Come All Ye Faithful"||3:43|
|2.||"The First Noel"||3:15|
|3.||"O Holy Night"||5:56|
|4.||"Light Of The World"||3:17|
- Hoganson Media. "Planetshakers Band Releases 'Christmas Vol 2' November 23; Pre-Order Available Now". New Release Today. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Herb Longs. "Planetshakers Band Releases 'Christmas Vol 2' November 23". The Christian Beat. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Conner, Matt. "HomeReviewsMusic 3.5 OVERALL SCORE Label: (Venture3Media) For Fans Of: Hillsong Young & Free, Elevation Worship We Like: "The First Noel" Buy Now Planetshakers 'Christmas Vol. 2' Review". CCM Magazine. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Cummings, Tony. "Planetshakers - Christmas Vol 2". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Agers, Maddy. "Music Review: Christmas Vol 2 by Planetshakers". OneManintheMiddle. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Frederick, Jake. "Christmas Vol. 2 EP". New Release Today. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Andre, Joshua. "PLANETSHAKERS – IT'S CHRISTMAS VOL. 2". 365 Days Of Inspiring Media. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Andrew Greenhalgh. "HomeReviewsMusic 3.5 OVERALL SCORE Label: (Venture3Media) For Fans Of: Hillsong Young & Free, Elevation Worship We Like: "The First Noel" Buy Now Planetshakers 'Christmas Vol. 2' Review". CCM Magazine. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Tony Cummings. "Planetshakers - Christmas Vol 2". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Rob Allwright. "Music Review: Christmas Vol 2 by Planetshakers". OneManintheMiddle. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Jake Frederick. "Christmas Vol. 2 EP". New Release Today. Retrieved 4 October 2019.
- Joshua Andre. "PLANETSHAKERS – IT'S CHRISTMAS VOL. 2". 365 Days Of Inspiring Media. Retrieved 4 October 2019.