Christine Jones Forman
Christine Jones Forman is a senior astrophysicist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. She is currently the past president of the American Astronomical Society, and the director of the Smithsonian Institution's Consortium for Unlocking the Mysteries of the Universe.
Christine Jones Forman
|Alma mater||Harvard University, 1971, 1972, 1974|
|Known for||Director of the Consortium for Unlocking the Mysteries of the Universe Host of Shedding Light on Science|
|Spouse(s)||William "Bill" R. Forman|
|Awards||Bruno Rossi Prize, 2013 Secretary's Distinguished Research Lecture Award of the Smithsonian Institution|
|Institutions||Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics|
Education and career
In high school Forman attended the Ross Mathematics Program, Arnold Ross' summer mathematics program for gifted high school students. She finished high school in West Carrollton, Ohio before moving to Cambridge, Massachusetts where she earned three astrophysics degrees from Harvard University: an AB in 1971, AM in 1972, and PhD in 1974. During her time as a student, Forman was both a post-doctoral fellow at the Center for Astrophysics and a Harvard Junior Fellow.
Forman has been an astrophysicist at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory since 1973 and previously served as the head of the Chandra Calibration Group from 1990–2010. In 2010, Forman was named director of the Consortium for Unlocking the Mysteries of the Universe, and became one of four directors of the Smithsonian Institution’s Consortia for the Four Grand Challenges of the Strategic Plan.
In 1985, Forman and her husband William R. Forman were the first recipients of the Bruno Rossi Prize, an award given annually by the American Astronomical Society "for a significant contribution to High Energy Astrophysics, with particular emphasis on recent, original work." They received a $500 reward and a certificate "for pioneering work in the study of X-ray emission from early type galaxies."
In 2013, Forman became the 14th recipient of the Secretary's Distinguished Research Lecture Award of the Smithsonian Institution.
- "Dr. Christine Jones Forman, Senior Astrophysicist". Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University. 9 January 2013. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "Science in Focus: Shedding Light: About This Workshop". Annenberg Learner. Los Angeles, California: Annenberg Foundation. 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "HEAD AAS Rossi Prize Winners". AAS High Energy Astrophysics Division. Washington D.C.: American Astronomical Society. Archived from the original on 6 April 2008. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Dr. Christine Jones Receives the 2013 Secretary's Distinguished Research Lecture Award". Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University. 19 February 2014. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Christine Jones Forman". Smithsonian Newsdesk. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution. 1 August 2011. Archived from the original on 18 March 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2014.
- "Bruno Rossi Prize". AAS High Energy Astrophysics Division. Washington D.C.: American Astronomical Society. Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 24 March 2014.