Welch playing for the Storm in 2014
|Born||19 July 1994|
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||195 cm (6 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||110 kg (17 st 5 lb)|
As of 3 August 2019
Welch was born in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia and moved to Townsville, Queensland at a young age where he began playing hockey. His family then relocated to Gladstone, Queensland before settling in Brisbane, Queensland. When settled in Brisbane, Welch was educated at Villanova College, Brisbane. He has one older brother, Brendan, and a younger sister, Lauren.
Welch made his debut in round 9 of the 2015 NRL season for the Melbourne Storm against the Eels. He came on in the second half and played the final 25 minutes to help seal a 28-10 victory away from home. The 21-year old went on to make another nine first grade appearances for the season.
In his second season, Welch averaged 22 minutes over 17 games, he ranked second at the club for offloads behind Jesse Bromwich. On 22 April, Welch was re-signed by the Storm on a 1-year contract. On 2 October 2016, he played in the 2016 NRL Grand Final loss to the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks.
Welch played eight of the first nine games for Melbourne Storm, averaging career highs in metres run and tackles per game. Unfortunately it all came to an abrupt halt when he suffered an ACL injury against the St. George Illawarra Dragons in Round 9. He was forced to have a knee reconstruction, robbing him of a chance to play in Storm's 2017 NRL Grand Final victory.
Christian started the season with victory against the Leeds Rhinos in World Club Challenge. He was drafted into Queensland State of Origin camp ahead of Game 2 in Sydney, but did not play. He was also part of the Melbourne Storm team that played in the 2018 NRL Grand Final.
- "Christian Welch - Career Stats & Summary". Rugby League Project. Retrieved 20 March 2016.
- Tiger cubs to link with Storm Under 20s. "Big League Mag Article on former Easts Junior Player Christian Welch. - Eastern Suburbs DRLFC Inc. JUNIORS - SportsTG". Foxsportspulse.com. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "Welch experiment works wonders for Storm". NRL.com. 31 January 2017. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- "Welch and Munster selected in Junior Emerging Origin squad". M.melbournestorm.sportalhosting.com. 12 December 2013. Archived from the original on 15 June 2015. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Under 20's Origin - Who to watch". Nrlceo.com. Retrieved 13 May 2015.
- "Queensland name Under-20s Origin team". NRL.com. 28 April 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Roy Ward. "Melbourne Storm rookie Christian Welch lives his dream in surprise debut". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "NRL 2016 grand final: Melbourne Storm v Cronulla Sharks player ratings". Fox Sports. 2 October 2016. Retrieved 5 October 2017.
- "Cronulla beat Storm 14-12 in thrilling 2016 NRL Grand Final". Dailymail.com.au. Retrieved 5 October 2017.