Chinese Academy of Engineering
The Chinese Academy of Engineering (CAE, Chinese: 中国工程院; pinyin: Zhōngguó Gōngchéng Yuàn) is the national academy of the People's Republic of China for engineering. It was established in 1994 and is an institution of the State Council of China. The CAE and the Chinese Academy of Sciences are often referred to together as the "Two Academies". Its current president is Li Xiaohong.
|Parent agency||State Council of China|
|Chinese Academy of Engineering|
Since the establishment of CAE, entrusted by the relevant ministries and commissions, the Academy has offered consultancy to the State on major programs, planning, guidelines, and policies. With the incitation by various ministries of the central government as well as local governments, the Academy has organized its members to make surveys on the forefront, and to put forward strategic opinions and proposals. These entrusted projects have played an important role in maximizing the participation of the members in the macro decision-making of the State. In the meantime, the members, based on their own experiences and perspectives accumulated in a long term and in combination with international trends of the development of engineering science and technology, have regularly and actively put forward their opinions and suggestions.
List of presidents
The CAE is composed of elected members with the highest honor in the community of engineering and technological sciences of the nation. The General Assembly of the CAE is the highest decision-making body of the Academy and is held during the first week of June biennially.
Member of Chinese Academy of Engineering is the highest academic title in engineering science and technology in China. It is a lifelong honor. It is must be elected by existing members. The membership of Chinese Academy of Engineering consists of members, senior members and foreign members. Foreigner members are non-Chinese citizens who are distinguished and recognized for their respective field of engineering.
- Mechanical experts - 124 members
- Information and electronics experts - 124 members
- Material experts- 109 members
- Energy experts - 118 members
- Civil experts - 108 members
- Environmental experts - 55 members
- Agricultural experts- 77 members
- Medicine and health experts- 120 members
Criteria and Qualifications
The senior engineers, professors and other scholars or specialists, who shall have the Chinese citizenship (including those who reside in Taiwan Province, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Macao Special Administrative Region and overseas) and who have made significant and creative achievements and contributions in the fields of engineering and technological sciences, are qualified for the membership of the Academy.
Elections of members
The election of new members (academicians) is conducted biennially. Total numbers of members to be elected in each election is decided by the governing body of the Academy. Examination and election of the candidates are done in every Academy Division and the voting is anonymous. The results of the voting is then examined and validated by the governing board.
Engineering Sciences (journal)
ISSN Print 1009-1724
ISSN Print 2095-8099
ISSN Online 2096-0026
Consulting projects for the Chinese government
- Sustainable Development Strategy of Oil and Natural Gas Resources in China
- Clean, Efficient and Sustainable Exploitation and Utilization of coal in China
- Sustainable Development of Mineral Resources in China
- Mid-Term Evaluation of Key National Science and Technology Projects
- Strategic Study on the Sustainable Development in Food and Food-Safety in China
- Strategic Study on the Ecological Protection of Grassland and Food-Safety in China
- Strategic Study on the Sustainable Development in Livestock Breeding and Aquaculture in China
- Science and Technology Issues Related With the Development of Manufacturing Industry in China
- Innovation Strategy for Equipment Manufacturing Industry in China
- Green Manufacture and Steel Industry
- Study on Disaster Mitigation Capability Building and Strategies for Construction After Disaster (initiated after the snow disaster in Southern China and Wenchuan Earthquake in 2008)
- Macro Strategic Study on the Environment of China (worked with the Ministry of Environmental Protection)
- Study on Cultivating Innovative Engineering Science and Technology Personnel
- Strategic Study on Mid-and- Long Term Development of Energy in China 2030- 2050
- Building up CAE a more capable Think-Tank of Engineering & Technological Sciences of China
- Education and Training Program for Better Engineers
- Digital Library of Engineering and Technological Sciences
- Series Studies on Water Resources
- Strategy for Sustainable Development of Water Resources in China (1999-2000)
- Water Resources and Eco-environment in Northwest China (2001-2003)
- Water Resources and Eco-environment in Northeast China (2004-2006)
- Period Evaluation of Feasibility Study Conclusion on Three Gorges Construction (since 2009)