Children of the Dust (miniseries)
Children of the Dust is an American Western television miniseries, based on Clancy Carlile's novel of the said name. Featuring an ensemble cast led by Sidney Poitier, Children of the Dust was originally broadcast by CBS on February 26 and 28 as part of 1995 in television.
|Children of the Dust|
|Also known as||''A Good Day to Die''|
|Written by||Clancy Carlile (novel)|
Joyce Eliason (teleplay)
|Directed by||David Greene|
|Country of origin||United States|
Harold Lee Tichenor
|Running time||240 minutes|
|Original release||February 26 –|
February 28, 1995
In the Oklahoma Territory of the late 1880s, Gypsy Smith (Poitier) is a bounty hunter of African American and Cherokee descent. Smith helps African American homesteaders to settle the territory under the specter of Jim Crow. Meanwhile, a young Native American raised by Whites (Wirth) must choose between the woman that he loves (Going) or his Cheyenne heritage.
- Sidney Poitier - Gypsy Smith
- Michael Moriarty - John Maxwell
- Joanna Going - Rachel Maxwell
- Hart Bochner - Shelby Hornbeck
- Regina Taylor - Drusilla
- Billy Wirth - Corby White / White Wolf
- Shirley Knight - Aunt Bertha
- Grace Zabriskie - Rose
- James Caviezel - Dexter
- Robert Guillaume - Jolson Mossburger
- Farrah Fawcett - Nora Maxwell
- John Pyper-Ferguson - Sonny Boy
- Katharine Isabelle - Young Rachel (as Katherine Isobel)
- Byron Chief-Moon - Chief Walks-The-Clouds
- Jesse Lipscombe - Clarence
On September 20, 1999, the miniseries was released on DVD, under the title A Good Day to Die. However, it was pared down to 120 minutes, and significant portions of the production were omitted.
- Ray Loynd (February 23, 1995). "TV Reviews: Children of the Dust". Variety.