Chiesa di Sant'Andrea (Capri)
Chiesa di Sant'Andrea is a church on the island of Capri, Italy, near the Marina Piccola in the south. It was built in 1900 for the local fishermen. The site which the church lies on formerly contained a watch tower which was used as a lookout post for invading Saracen pirates. The church was designed by the painter Riccardo Fainardi, and funded by German banker Hugo Andreae and his wife, Emma.
- For the church in San Marino see Chiesa di Sant'Andrea (Acquaviva). See also Basilica di Sant'Andrea.
Capri.net says of the interior, "The pronaos of the Church is supported by two columns. The central apse stands in the very same position once occupied by the old watch tower. The central altar is embellished by a triptych representing the crucifixion of Saint Andrew. In one of the lateral apses there is an altar dedicated to the Madonna of Pompei and a spiral staircase leading up to the organ."
Andreae, together with the businessman Moritz von Bernus, also founded the German Evangelical Church on the island in the year 1899, Capri being a popular holiday destination for Germans and also having a sizeable German population.
- Bennett, Martin Wilmot; Kavanagh, Fergal; Squillante, Fiorella (18 October 2011). Fodor's the Amalfi Coast, Capri & Naples. Random House Digital, Inc. pp. 115–. ISBN 978-0-679-00933-7. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "Church of Sant'Andrea". Capri.net. Archived from the original on 18 June 2012. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- "Chiesa di Sant'Andrea". Capritourism.com. Retrieved 11 July 2012.