Chief of the Defence Staff (Sierra Leone)
The Chief of the Defense Staff (CDS) is the professional head of the Republic of Sierra Leone Armed Forces. He is responsible for the administration and the operational control of the Sierra Leonean military. It is the highest rank military position in the country.
|Chief of the Defence Staff of the Republic of Sierra Leone Armed Forces|
Coat of arms of Sierra Leone
|Ministry of Defence|
|Reports to||Minister of Defence|
|Nominator||President of Sierra Leone|
|Appointer||Parliament of Sierra Leone|
In 1985, General Joseph Saidu Momoh, the army commander, succeed President Siaka Stevens. It is not clear what exactly Momoh's title was but it seems likely that he was the senior Sierra Leonean military officer and held the predecessor to the CDS's post.
Brigadier-General Tom Carew was Chief of Defence Staff from April 2000 to November 2003. He may have been promoted to Major General during his tenure. Major General Alfred Nelson-Williams was the Chief of the Defence Staff of the Republic of the Armed Forces, between 2008-2010. Nelson-Williams succeeded the retiring Major General Edward Sam M'boma on 12 September 2008. The current chief is Lieutenant general Brima Sesay.
List of Chiefs
|No.||Picture||Chief of the Defense Staff||Took office||Left office||Time in office||Ref|
Andrew Terence Juxon-Smith
John Amadu Bangura
Joseph Saidu Momoh
|1971||28 November 1985||13–14 years|
Julius Maada Bio
Maxwell Mitikishi Khobe
|April 2000||November 2003||3 years, 7 months|
Edward Sam M'boma
|?||12 September 2008||.|
|12 September 2008||August 2010||1 year, 10 months|
Robert Yira Koroma
|August 2010||2012||1–2 years|
Samuel Omar Williams
|24 July 2012||2016||3–4 years|
John Edson Milton
|2016||29 November 2017||0–1 years|
|29 November 2017||Incumbent||1 year, 346 days|
- "Sierra Leone: Security Information". Archived from the original on 20 July 2011. Retrieved 17 November 2009.
- New Vision, Freetown, 15 September 2008
- Government of Sierra Leone (30 November 2017). "New Army Chief of Defence Staff and Police boss in Sierra Leone". Cocorioko. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Home Page". mod.gov.sl. Ministry of Defence. 2018. Archived from the original on 2 May 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- Kamara, Saidu (February 20, 2007). "Ahead of 2007 Elections…Chief of Defense Staff Rejects Polling Boxes". standardtimespress.net. Archived from the original on July 24, 2011.
- Thomas, Abdul R. (11 September 2010). "The Sacking of Sierra Leone's Military and Police Chiefs: Can Good Men become so bad so soon?". The Sierra Leone Telegraph. Archived from the original on 27 September 2010. Retrieved 4 August 2011.