Chief of the Air Staff's Warrant Officer
The Chief of the Air Staff's Warrant Officer (CASWO) is the senior warrant officer (WO), and therefore the most senior non-commissioned position in the Royal Air Force (RAF). The person holding this military appointment advises the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS) on matters concerning airmen and airwomen of the RAF. The post was created in 1996.
|Royal Air Force|
air component of the
British Armed Forces
List of Chief of the Air Staff's Warrant Officers
|Warrant officer||years||Chief of the Air Staff|
|WO Greg Dutton||May 1996 – January 1998||Air Chief Marshal Sir Michael Graydon|
|WO Jim Andrews||January 1998 – January 2000||Air Chief Marshal Sir Richard Johns|
|WO René Michael Stuart||January 2000 – May 2003||Air Chief Marshal Sir Richard Johns|
Air Chief Marshal Sir Peter Squire
|WO Robert 'Bob' Loughlin||May 2003 – November 2006||Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup|
|WO Lyndsay Morgan||November 2006 – July 2009||Air Chief Marshal Sir Glenn Torpy|
|WO Gary Wilcox||July 2009 – February 2012||Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton|
|WO Graeme Spark||February 2012 – October 2014||Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Dalton |
Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Pulford
|WO Clive Martland||October 2014 – October 2016||Air Chief Marshal Sir Andrew Pulford |
Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Hillier
|WO Jon Crossley||October 2016 – October 2019||Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Hillier |
Air Chief Marshal Michael Wigston
|WO Jake Alpert||October 2019 – present||Air Chief Marshal Michael Wigston|
The Royal Navy equivalent is the Warrant Officer of the Naval Service (WONS), and in the Royal Marines the Corps Regimental Sergeant Major. The British Army's recent equivalent is the Army Sergeant Major.
- "Chief of the Air Staff's Warrant Officer". Royal Air Force website - Senior Commanders. www.RAF.mod.uk. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- Lesley Woods, ed. (27 July 2009). "Welsh Warrant Officer steps down from top job". Royal Air Force website. www.RAF.mod.uk. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "RAF Halton Hosts the Chief of the Air Staff's Conference for Warrant Officers". RAF Halton website. www.RAF.mod.uk. 2010. Archived from the original on 18 October 2012. Retrieved 3 November 2010.
The conference has taken place annually for the last 12 years, since the post of Chief of the Air Staff’s Warrant Officer (CASWO) was created.
- "Bob's proud to protect the crown jewels". Ipswich Star. www.IpswichStar.co.uk. 4 September 2007. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- @ChiefofAirStaff (5 October 2019). "Thank you WO Jon Crossley. A brilliant 3 years as Chief of the Air Staff's Warrant Officer. Welcome WO Jake Alpert" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Warrant Officer in a class of his own". Royal Navy website. www.RoyalNavy.mod.uk. 24 April 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2016.