Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister (Canada)
|Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister|
|Office of the Prime Minister|
|Appointer||Prime Minister of Canada|
|First holder||Derek Burney|
Prior to the creation of the chief of staff position, the office was headed by the Prime Minister's Principal Secretary, a position which is now secondary to the chief of staff. People who held the position of principal secretary prior to 1987 were essentially de facto chiefs of staff, and may sometimes be informally referred to as chiefs of staff in some sources, but did not hold the formal title chief of staff.
Bernard Roy, Brian Mulroney's principal secretary from 1984 to 1988, was the last principal secretary to act as head of the PMO before the creation of the chief of staff position.
List of Chiefs of Staff
|No.||Name||Term of office||Political party||Ministry||Reference|
|1||Derek Burney||1987||1989||Progressive Conservative||24 (Mulroney)|
|2||Stanley Hartt||1989||1990||Progressive Conservative|
|3||Norman Spector||1990||1992||Progressive Conservative|
|4||Hugh Segal||1992||1993||Progressive Conservative|
|5||David McLaughlin||1993||1993||Progressive Conservative|
|6||Jodi White||1993||1993||Progressive Conservative||25 (Campbell)|
|7||Jean Pelletier||1993||2001||Liberal||26 (Chrétien)|
|10||Tim Murphy||2003||2006||Liberal||27 (Martin)|
|11||Ian Brodie||2006||2008||Conservative||28 (Harper)|
|15||Katie Telford||2015||Incumbent||Liberal||29 (J. Trudeau)|
- "In Defense of Political Staff". Canadian Parliamentary Review (Vol. 35, No. 3), 2012.
- "Another change by PM". Windsor Star, March 13, 1987.
- "Montrealer Hartt named PM's chief of staff". Montreal Gazette, December 15, 1988.
- "PM picks top bureaucrat to be new chief of staff". Financial Post, August 16, 1990.
- "PM appoints political pro chief of staff; Meech architect becomes envoy". Edmonton Journal, January 8, 1992.
- "Tories' 'happy warrior' quits Mulroney's office". Toronto Star, April 29, 1993.
- "Campbell's new cabinet to be leaner and meaner". Montreal Gazette, June 25, 1993.
- "Ex-mayor who was defeated by Bloc appointed Chretien's chief of staff". Montreal Gazette, October 30, 1993.
- "Percy Downe named chief of staff to Prime Minister's Office". The Guardian, May 5, 2001.
- "PM aide brings hammer down: Grit party boss warned to get in line". Calgary Herald, June 27, 2003.
- "Familiar faces round out Martin's PMO". The Globe and Mail, December 12, 2003.
- "Ad hoc process to grill nominee warrants caution". Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, February 21, 2006.
- "Giorno takes the helm in PMO". The Globe and Mail, July 2, 2008.
- "PM's staff chief 'right man'". Edmonton Journal, January 6, 2011.
- "Ray Novak's long ties to Harper". The Globe and Mail, May 20, 2013.
- "Leadership of the Prime Minister's Office". Official website of the Parliament of Canada. Retrieved February 20, 2019.