Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria
The Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria is a federally recognized tribe with members who are descendants of Chetco, Hupa, Karuk, Tolowa, Wiyot, and Yurok people in Humboldt County, California. As of the 2010 Census the population was 132.
|154 enrolled tribal members,|
73 rancheria population (2011)
|Regions with significant populations|
|Related ethnic groups|
The Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community is headquartered in Trinidad, California. In 1961, the tribe organized under the Articles of Association. In June 2008, a new Constitution was ratified, replaced the Articles of Association. The tribe is governed by a democratically elected five-person community council. The current tribal administration is as follows.
- Chairman: Garth Sundberg
- Vice Chairman: Zack Brown
- Secretary / Treasurer: Trina Mathewson
- Council Member Seat #1: James Brown Jr.
- Council Member Seat #2: Robert Hemsted
The Trinidad Rancheria (41°03′15″N 124°07′49″W) is a federally recognized ranchería occupying three parcels of land with a total area of over 80 acres (32 ha). in Humboldt County. It was established in 1906 to house homeless local California Indians. An additional 60 acres (24 ha) of land was purchased for the rancheria in 1908. The Rancheria’s lands are within Yurok ancestral territory.
The Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community owns and operates the Cher-Ae Heights Casino, Sunrise Deli, Seascape Restaurant, Trinidad pier, Sunset Restaurant, Firewater Lounge, and all are located in Trinidad.
The Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria is a United States government formed tribe for homeless Indians from a multitude of surrounding area tribes, and not a tribe of historic origin. They have no language, ceremony, or cultural practices.
- "Population." SDSU: California Indians and Their Reservations. 2011. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria." Alliance for California Traditional Arts. 2009. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Pritzker 155
- "Cher-Ae Heights Indian Community of the Trinidad Rancheria." Archived 15 December 2012 at the Wayback Machine United Indian Health Services. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Tribal Council." Archived 16 May 2013 at the Wayback Machine Trinidad Rancheria. 2012. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Tribes and Tribal Communities of the North Coast." Integrating Tribal Marine Resource Use into the Marine Life Protection Act. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- "Cher-Ae Heights Casino." 500 Nations. Retrieved 25 June 2012.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1
- Trinidad Rancheria, official website