Chattenden and Upnor Railway
The Chattenden and Upnor Railway (later known as the Lodge Hill and Upnor Railway) was a narrow gauge railway serving the military barracks and depot at Upnor and associated munitions and training depots. It was built in 1873 as a 18 in (457 mm) gauge railway, converted to 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) narrow gauge around 1885, and continued in use until 1961.
|Dates of operation||1873–1961|
|Track gauge||2 ft 6 in (762 mm)|
The Chattenden and Upnor Railway was originally laid in 1873 to 18 in (457 mm) gauge, as a training exercise for the Royal School of Military Engineering which was then based at Chattenden Camp. The line ran from Pontoon Hard by the River Medway and climbed steeply towards Chattenden where in 1877 the War Office built a set of gunpowder magazines. A spur led from Church Crossing to the Lower Upnor Ordnance Depot and until 1895 a branch ran from Chattenden to Hoo.
In 1885 the railway was relaid and converted to 2 ft 6 in (762 mm) gauge by the 8th. Railway Company of the Royal Engineers who managed the line. In 1891 the Admiralty took over Upnor Depot and it became a Royal Naval Armaments Depot. Another armaments depot was constructed at Lodge Hill, north of Chattenden which was also served by the railway. In 1905 the entire Chattenden enclosure was taken over by the Navy, and in 1906 the railway was also taken over by the Navy and renamed the Lodge Hill and Upnor Railway. The Navy extended the line to connect with the 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge branch from Sharnal Street on the South Eastern & Chatham Railway's Hundred of Hoo branch.
The railway saw intensive use during the Second World War, but use declined after the end of hostilities and the railway closed in 1961.
|Sulphur||Yorkshire Engine Company||0-4-2 T||1885||405||Sold for scrap by 1931|
|Carbon||Yorkshire Engine Company||0-4-2 T||1886||404||Scrapped by 1931|
|Cheshire||W.G. Bagnall||0-4-2 T||1890||1260||ex-War Department, Crewe. Sold for scrap 1931 or 1932|
|Lancashire||Yorkshire Engine Company||0-4-4 T||1891||462||Sold for scrap by 1932|
|Cumberland||Lowca Engine Company||0-4-2 T||1893||220||Scrapped by 1904|
|Eardley Wilmot||W.G. Bagnall||0-6-0 T||1897||1513||ex-War Department, South Africa, 1901. Scrapped by 1904|
|Bagnall||W.G. Bagnall||0-6-0 ST||1897||1514||ex-War Department, South Africa, 1901. Scrapped 1931 or 1932|
|Kitchener||Yorkshire Engine Company||0-6-2 T||1902||711||ex-War Department, Egypt. To Chatham Dockyard for scrap 1948; scrapped 1954.|
|Yorkshire||John Fowler||0-4-4 T||before 1897||5350||Scrapped 1931.|
|Pioneer||Yorkshire Engine Company||2-6-2 PT||1904||757||To War Department, Woolmer Instructional Military Railway, 1905; later to the Pentewan Railway, 1912.|
|Ascension||Avonside Engine Company||0-4-2 T||1904||1480||To Admiralty, Hoo Ness, by 1928.|
|Fisher||Dick Kerr and Company||0-6-2 T||1915||13996||Scrapped 1954|
|Chevalier||Manning Wardle||0-6-2 T||1915||1677||Sold to the Bowaters Paper Railway in 1950, subsequently sold to the Great Whipsnade Railway|
|Burnett Hall||Avonside||0-4-2 T||1933||2070||Scrapped 1956. Nameplate on display at Amberley Museum.|
|Norbury||Peckett||0-4-2 T||1934||1868||Scrapped 1955. Nameplate on display at Amberley Museum.|
|Drewry||6w DM||1949||2263||Sold to the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway in 1968 and named Chattenden|
|Hibberd Planet||4w DM||1954||3687||Sold to the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway in 1961, named Upnor Castle, sold to the Ffestiniog Railway and regauged to 1 ft 11 1⁄2 in (597 mm)|
|89||Greenwood & Batley||4w BE||Used for shunting ammunition wagons|