Chateau Lake Louise
The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise is a Fairmont hotel on the eastern shore of Lake Louise, near Banff, Alberta. The original hotel was gradually developed at the turn of the 20th century by the Canadian Pacific Railway and was thus "kin" to its predecessors, the Banff Springs Hotel and the Château Frontenac. The hotel's wooden Rattenbury Wing was destroyed by fire on 3 July 1924, and was replaced by the current Barrot Wing one year later. The Painter Wing, built in 1913, is the oldest existing portion of the hotel. The Mount Temple Wing, opened in 2004, is the most recent wing and features modern function facilities; these include the Mount Temple Ballroom.
|The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise|
Chateau Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada
Location within Alberta
|Location||111 Lake Louise Drive, Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada|
|Management||Fairmont Hotels and Resorts|
|Number of rooms||539|
|Number of restaurants||7|
|Parking||Paid parking or valet parking|
The hotel was first conceived by the railway at the end of the 19th century, as a vacation destination to lure moneyed travelers into taking trains and heading West. By the time airplanes and automobiles had displaced the trains, it had gained sufficient renown to have a life of its own. In 1999, Canadian Pacific Hotels (a division of the Canadian Pacific Railway) acquired Fairmont Hotels and Resorts, and adopted the Fairmont name for all of its hotels, resulting in the Chateau Lake Louise being operated as a Fairmont hotel.
Originally built to function only in summer, the hotel was winterized in 1982 and now offers all the regular ski resort fare during the winter months. In addition to the usual skiing, ice skating and snowboarding, there are sleigh rides, ice sculpture contests and snowshoe excursions.
The Chateau Lake Louise holds seven dining options within the hotel. This includes Fairview, Lakeview Lounge, The Wallister Stube, The Chateau Deli, Poppy Brasserie, the Alpine Social (formerly the Glacier Saloon), and the seasonal Italian cuisine kitchen Lago (usually opened regularly during summer).
- Chateau Lake Louise - Hotel History
- "The small chalet that opened on the shores of the lake in the summer of 1890 would gradually grow to become Chateau Lake Louise," R. W. Sandford, Introduction to William Spotswood Green, Among the Selkirk Glaciers. London: Macmillan and Co., 1890, reprint 1998 by Aquila Books, Calgary, unnumbered pages.
- Tony Sloan, "The Changing World of Skiing," TravelTimes in Montreal Gazette, Nov. 20, 1982, p.9.