Charming Billy, a novel by American author Alice McDermott, tells the story of Billy Lynch and his lifelong struggle with alcohol after the death of his first love. It won the National Book Award for fiction as well as the American Book Award, and was shortlisted for the International Dublin IMPAC Literary Award. The novel was published by FSG in 1997 and has since been republished by Picador (as a Picador Modern Classic).
|Publisher||Farrar, Straus and Giroux|
|31 September 1997|
- "Charming Billy book review". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "National Book Award Winner". www.nbafictionblog.org/. National Book Award Foundation. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Previous Winners of the American Book Award" (PDF). beforecolumbusfoundation.com. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- "Shortlist titles (2000)". .impacdublinaward.ie. The International IMPAC Dublind Literary Award. Archived from the original on 16 December 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
- Swanson, Clare. "Picador Set to Launch Modern Classics". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 16 December 2014.
| National Book Award for Fiction