Desmond Méndez (born 6 April 1980), better known as Charly Black, alternatively known as Charly Blacks, and originally known as Tony Mentol, is a Jamaican reggae and dancehall singer, selector and singjay. He is best known for his track "Gyal You a Party Animal", which became popular outside Jamaica in regions including Mexico, South America, and Spain. The song is very popular in these regions, as well as in some parts of the Caribbean and Central America. It is also one of the most watched dancehall videos on YouTube with over 125 million views as of January 2019. Other songs include "Whine & Kotch", "Girlfriend", "Bike Back", and "Hoist & Wine". Mendez has also collaborated with other music artists, including his collaboration with American Latin pop star Jencarlos Canela in the single "Pa Que Me Invitan".
Life and career
Desmond Mendize was born in Rio Bueno, Jamaica on April 6, 1980. He started his ascent at singing competitions at the age of five. He attended Rio Bueno Primary and High School.
Mendize has been part of the Warlord International and Bass Odyssey sound systems. As Tony Mentol, he made his recorded debut in 2004 with the single "Woman It's You". He eventually switched aliases to Charly Black and recorded a string of cuts for labels like Coppershot, M Bass, and VP, the last of which issued "Buddy Buddy" in 2008. In 2014, he recorded his most successful single, "Gyal You a Party Animal", then simply known as "Party Animal". The song, based on Kurt Riley's Jambe-An riddim, gradually spread outside Jamaica to win over audiences across South America. It was licensed worldwide by Allezgo Productions and for the US by Casablanca Records in early 2016, followed by the release of a music video for the song on YouTube months later. It has since received over 100 million streams on Spotify.
The song has also been remixed by other foreign music artists, including Maluma, Daddy Yankee, and Jillionaire. However, Maluma announced via Instagram that he was unable to launch his remixed version due to legal rights issues.
In May 2016, he performed in Victoria, Seychelles and was warmly welcomed by critics.
Since the critical success of "Gyal You a Party Animal" later that year, Mendize has been more active on live performing. In October 2016, he made a live performance in Mexico, performing such songs including his signature "Gyal You a Party Animal", as well as Hoist & Wine. This performance was sponsored by the Hispanic Radio Network and station Los 40. He also appeared in San José, Costa Rica on December 2 of the same year, where "Gyal You a Party Animal" was certified Diamond in Central America, making him the first Jamaican music artist to be Diamond-awarded in the said region.
- Multi-Talented (2013)
- Best Whine Riddim (featuring Kooly Chat) (2011)
- "Woman It's You" (2004)
- "Buddy Buddy" (2008)
- "Rich This Year" (2009)
- "Fall in Love Again" (2010)
- "Whine & Kotch" (2012)
- "Too Blessed" (2012)
- "Bubble Dung" (2013)
- "Jamaican Everyday" (2014)
- "Bike Back" (2014)
- "Gyal You a Party Animal" (2014)
- "Energy Girls" (2015)
- "Girlfriend" (2016)
- "Hoist & Wine" (2016)
- "Big Bumper" (2016)
- "Just Do It" (2016)
- "Bruk Out" (2016)
- Often" (2016)
- "VIP Girl" (2017)
- "Pa Que Me Invitan" (with Jencarlos Canela) (2016)
- "Dancehall reggae artiste Charly Black official biography". dancehallreggaeworld.com. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- "Charly Black goes universal - Entertainment - JamaicaObserver.com". jamaicaobserver.com. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- http://www.peopleenespanol.com/article/jencarlos-canela-presenta-su-nuevo-sencillo-pa-que-me-invitan (in Spanish)
- "Charly Black - Biography | Billboard". billboard.com. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- http://www.publimetro.com.mx/entretenimiento/maluma-anuncia-que-el-remix-de-party-animal-no-sera-lanzado/mpcg!o9jRpMQxGjt2 (in Spanish)
- "Jamaican dancehall and reggae artists wow Seychelles fans". Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "'Gyal You A Party Animal' takes Charly Black to Mexico | Entertainment | Jamaica Star". jamaica-star.com. Retrieved 2016-12-04.