Charlotte Tilbury MBE (born 10 February 1973) is a British make-up artist, founder, chairwoman, president and chief creative officer of her eponymous beauty and skincare brand, Charlotte Tilbury Beauty Ltd, and is a British Vogue Contributing Beauty Editor and Global Ambassador for Women for Women International.
|Known for||Make up artist|
|Founder of Charlotte Tilbury Beauty|
|Spouse(s)||George Waud (m. 2014)|
Charlotte Tilbury was born in London, England, to artist Lance Tilbury and production manager Patsy Dodd. She and her parents moved to Ibiza when she was nine months old. When she was 13, Charlotte moved back to London to attend boarding school, where she started experimenting with make-up.
Tilbury attended the Glauca Rossi School of Makeup, and began her career in makeup assisting Mary Greenwell, whom she had previously met aged 11 in Ibiza. She would later cite Greenwell as 'an incredible mentor'.
Tilbury's work can be seen in fashion magazines including Vogue, LOVE magazine, Vanity Fair, V magazine for cover shoots and editorial campaigns. Tilbury has worked with photographers including Mario Testino and Mert and Marcus as well as celebrities such as Kate Moss, Kim Kardashian West, Gisele Bündchen and human rights lawyer Amal Clooney. Tilbury also works Fashion Week in New York, Milan, Paris and London, acting as show makeup director for brands such as Prada, Miu Miu, McQueen, Cavalli, Lanvin and Chloe. In the past, Tilbury has collaborated with designers such as Tom Ford and Burberry on beauty campaigns as well as acting as creative director for Tom Ford and Helena Rubinstein amongst others.
Charlotte Tilbury was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List 2018 for services to the beauty and cosmetics industry. In addition, she has been awarded Rodial Award for Best Make-up Artist 2012, CEW Achiever award in 2014, as well as being nominated for Veuve Clicquot Businesswoman of the Year 2016. Tilbury has also been featured in the Business of Fashion 500 since 2013.
In October 2012, Tilbury launched her own YouTube channel and blog providing makeup tutorials and tips and tricks, featuring celebrities including Kate Moss, Sara Sampaio, Olivia Culpo and Emily Ratajkowski. As of September 2019, the YouTube channel has 722,000 subscribers.
In 2012, Charlotte Tilbury launched her own skin care and beauty brand, Charlotte Tilbury Beauty Ltd. at Selfridges in London. This became the retailer's biggest-ever beauty launch for turnover. The brand is now stocked in department stores such as Harvey Nichols, Harrods, Fenwick's, as well as Bergdorf Goodman, Sephora, and Nordstrom in the US.
In November 2015, Tilbury's flagship store opened in London's Covent Garden. As of 2019, Charlotte Tilbury is available in the UK, US, Canada, Hong Kong, Netherlands, Germany, Spain, France, Ireland, Dubai, Kuwait and Qatar as well as online in 76 countries.
Since the brand's launch, Charlotte Tilbury has won over 250 awards, as of September 2019. These include the Walpole award for Emerging Luxury British Brand 2014, CEW Best British Brand of the Year 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019 Best Health & Beauty eCommerce Website of the Year 2016. In 2019, Charlotte Tilbury Beauty was listed in the London Stock Exchange Group report, titled 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain.
Charlotte Tilbury was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List 2018 for services to the beauty and cosmetics industry.
- "Lippy: Kate Talks About Charlotte Tilbury, The Makeup Brand Taking the Beauty Industry by Storm – RSVP Magazine". RSVP Magazine. 9 October 2014. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Liverpool Daily Post
- "Charlotte Tilbury, Makeup Artist". Into The Gloss. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "How Charlotte Tilbury became the Taylor Swift of beauty". The Telegraph. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "One to one with Charlotte Tilbury". Harvey Nichols. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Singer, Natasha (15 September 2005). "Turning Mere Beauties into Glossy Goddesses". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "The exact make-up Amal Clooney wore to the royal wedding". Harper's BAZAAR. 19 May 2018. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Tom Ford expands further into makeup and skincare". VOGUE India. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "The Cosmetics Creator: Blending Art and Commerce". Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Ferguson, Gilly (6 March 2012). "It's official: The Le Bons are Beautiful but are Yasmin and Amber your winners?". mirror. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "2014 Achiever Awards". CEWUK. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Charlotte Tilbury nominated for Veuve Clicquot Business Woman Award". Harper's BAZAAR. 7 March 2016. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Charlotte Tilbury | #BoF500". The Business of Fashion. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Home – Charlotte Tilbury". Charlotte Tilbury. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Charlotte Tilbury". Retrieved 29 March 2017 – via YouTube.
- "CHARLOTTE TILBURY'S MAKE-UP HOUSE OF ROCK N' KOHL LAUNCH". selfridges.com. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Behind the scenes at the launch of Charlotte Tilbury's Beauty Boudoir in Covent Garden, London". Charlotte Tilbury. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Stockists | Charlotte Tilbury". www.charlottetilbury.com. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Charlotte Tilbury Conctact Page". charlottetilbury.com. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Executive profile: Demetra Pinsent". bloomberg.com. Bloomberg. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "And the winners of the 2014 Walpole Awards are... | Walpole". www.thewalpole.co.uk. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "THE 2015 CEW BEAUTY AWARDS WINNERS | CEWUK". www.cewuk.co.uk. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- "Winners 2016 | eCommerce Awards for Excellence". www.ecommerceawards.london. Retrieved 29 March 2017.