His first and best-known published book is Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea. One review of this book described it as "one of the best-written popular science books ... for quite a while". Another review, however, claimed that Seife gave contradictory information within the book as well as belittling the subject of the book as a whole.
Another well-known book from Seife is Proofiness: How You're Being Fooled By the Numbers. Here, Seife focuses on how much propaganda uses numbers worded in such a way that they confuse people and can be misinterpreted.
Other books by Seife are:
- Alpha & Omega: The Search for the Beginning and End of the Universe, Penguin Putnam, 2003. ISBN 0-670-03179-8
- Decoding the Universe, Penguin, 2007. ISBN 978-0-14-303839-9
- Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking, Viking, 2008. ISBN 978-0-670-02033-1
- Virtual Unreality: Just Because the Internet Told You, How Do You Know It’s True?, Penguin Putnam, 2014. ISBN 0-670-02608-5
Throughout his career, Seife has written many book reviews, especially of books which focus on mathematics.
- 2001 PEN/Martha Albrand Award for First Nonfiction for Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea
- Greenwood, Katherine Federici (13 October 2010). Numbers can mislead - Charles Seife ’93 reveals mischief behind data, Princeton Alumni Weekly
- Journalism at NYU - Faculty Archived April 6, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Seife, Charles (2000). Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea. New York: Penguin Books. ISBN 9780140296471.
- Nicholas Lezard, Explaining nothing, brilliantly, The Guardian, 22 March 2003
- Barrow-Green, June (2004). "Charles Seife: Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea". Isis. 95 (2): 279–280. doi:10.1086/426210.
- Seife, Charles (2010). Proofiness: How You're Being Fooled by the Numbers. New York: Penguin. ISBN 978-0-14-312007-0.
- Steven Strogatz, Fibbing With Numbers, The New York Times, 17 September 2010
- Seife, Charles (2008). Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking. ISBN 9780670020331.
- Seife, Charles (2015-08-04). Virtual Unreality: The New Era of Digital Deception. ISBN 9780143127673; pbk