Charles Connell and Company
|Successor||Scotstoun Marine Ltd (1972–80)|
|Headquarters||Scotstoun, Glasgow, Scotland|
|Parent||Upper Clyde Shipbuilders (1968–71)|
Govan Shipbuilders (1972–80)
The Company was founded by Charles Connell who had served an apprenticeship with Robert Steele and Co before becoming manager of Alexander Stephen and Sons Kelvinhaugh yard before he started shipbuilding on his own account at Scotstoun in 1861 initially concentrating on sailing ships.
In 1968 the yard passed from Connell family ownership after 107 years and became part of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders.
The Connell shipyard was closed in 1980 after 119 years of shipbuilding. The site was cleared of cranes although some evidence of the building berths remained visible until about 2004. Part of the yard's covered facilities are used by steel stockholders GKN whilst the riverside berth has been used by Motherwell Bridge Engineering for heavy fabrication work.
Connells built a total of 516 ships at Scotstoun. They include:
- Michael Angelo (clipper) (1865) - sailing clipper
- Wild Deer (1863) - composite clipper ship
- Taitsing (1865) — sailing clipper
- Spindrift (1867) - composite clipper ship
- Loch Ard (1873) — sailing ship
- SS City of Agra (1879) - steamer cargo ship (city line Ltd)
- Balclutha (1886) — iron-hulled sailing ship, preserved at the San Francisco Maritime Museum
- Mersey (1894) — iron-hulled sailing ship
- Knight Errant (1897) - cargo ship
- Saturnia (1910) – passenger steamship
- Acacia-class sloops HMS Jonquil (1915) and HMS Laburnum (1915)
- Arabis-class sloops HMS Gladiolus (1915), HMS Godetia (1916) and HMS Hydrangea (1916)
- P-class sloops HMS P.14 (1916) and HMS P.63 (1916)
- Empire Celia (1943) — MoWT cargo steamship
- Purnea – passenger freighter
- Royal Commission on Ancient & Historical Monuments of Scotland
- Government's shipbuilding crisis BBC News, 1 January 2002
- Parliamentary debates Hansard, 4 June 1971
- Motherwell Bridge Engineering
- "Saturnia". Clydeships. Retrieved 7 November 2019.