Champlain Bridge, Ottawa
The Champlain Bridge (French: Pont Champlain) crosses the Ottawa River about 5 km (3.1 mi) west of Parliament Hill, joining the communities of Ottawa, Ontario and Gatineau, Quebec. It is the westernmost link between the two cities.
Champlain Bridge over the Ottawa River
|Official name||Champlain Bridge (Pont Champlain)|
|Maintained by||National Capital Commission|
|Design||concrete girder bridge|
|Total length||1.1 km (0.68 mi)|
|Clearance above||2.7 metres (8.9 ft)|
|Clearance below||3 metres (9.8 ft)|
It was originally built between 1924 and 1928 by the Federal District Commission, the predecessor to the National Capital Commission, which maintains the bridge. The bridge consists of 4 spans and crosses Riopelle, Cunningham and Bate Islands in the Ottawa River. The total length of the bridge is 1.1 km (0.68 mi), making it the longest bridge spanning the Ottawa River.
A third commuter lane was added when the bridge was rebuilt in 2002, which is a reversible lane in the direction of peak traffic.
The bridge was named after Samuel de Champlain who is associated with the portage around the rapids in this section of the river. The short access roadway on the Aylmer side of the bridge is called Place Samuel de Champlain.