Cesena Cathedral

Cesena Cathedral (Italian: Duomo di Cesena, Cattedrale di San Giovanni Battista) is a Roman Catholic cathedral dedicated to Saint John the Baptist in the city of Cesena, Italy. It has been the episcopal seat of the present Diocese of Cesena-Sarsina since 1986, and was previously that of the Diocese of Cesena.

Cesena Cathedral
Cattedrale di San Giovanni Battista
Façade of Cesena Cathedral
AffiliationRoman Catholic
LocationCesena, Italy
Geographic coordinates44°08′14.87″N 12°14′43.09″E
Completedc. 1404

The building of the cathedral, to replace an older one, was authorised by a papal bull of Pope Urban VI in 1378. The works started in 1385 and were paid for by the generosity of Andrea Malatesta, the lord of the city. The building was completed around the year 1405. The construction, in Romanesque-Gothic style, is attributed to the architect Undervaldo (probably Swiss).

The campanile (bell tower) was built between 1443 and 1457 to designs by the Maso di Pietro and funded by Bishop Antonio Malatesta da Fossombrone (bishop of Cesena from 1435 to 1475).

The same Bishop Malatesta was responsible for the building of the Bishop's Palace adjoining the cathedral, which was completed by his successor Giovanni Venturelli (1475–1486).

After the radical rebuilding of the 1960s the only surviving original part of the structure is what remains of the door on the eastern side. Also dating from the Renaissance period is the Chapel of Saint Tobias next to the cathedral, now in use as the cathedral museum. However, the old hospital of the same name which gave assistance to pilgrims no longer exists.

The façade of the cathedral was completed only at the end of the 15th century with works attributed to the Venetian architect Mauro Coducci (1440–1504).

The mortal remains of Saint Maurus of Cesena (d. 946) are preserved here, in the Altar of Saint John, one of the greatest sculptures of Cesena produced between 1494 and 1505 by the Lombard sculptor Giovanni Battista Bregno da Osteno.

Inside the cathedral a small painting on a copper plate by the Mannerist Livio Agresti depicting Saint John has been returned. In the Cappella della Madonna del Popolo ("Chapel of the Madonna of the People") are frescoes by Corrado Giaquinto dating from 1750.

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.