Central railway station, Brisbane
Ann Street entrance in July 2012
|Location||Corner Ann & Edward Streets, Brisbane|
|Owned by||Queensland Rail|
|Operated by||Queensland Rail|
|Platforms||6 (3 islands)|
|Structure type||Underground (Partly Sub-Terrain)|
|Station code||600018 (platform 1)|
600017 (platform 2)
600016 (platform 3)
600020 (platform 4)
600019 (platform 5)
600024 (platform 6)
|Fare zone||go card 1|
|Opened||18 August 1889|
The first building for Central railway station was a structure of wood and corrugated galvanised iron, and opened on 18 August 1889 as the terminus of the line when it was extended from Roma Street railway station. In 1891, the tunnel to Brunswick Street station (now Fortitude Valley) was opened so trains could run directly from Central to northern destinations.
An elegant new station was constructed and opened in 1899 with arches of corrugated galvanised iron over the platforms and a portico on Ann Street. A new entrance with its distinctive row of clocks was constructed in 1901 in sandstone from nearby quarries. In 1904, Central had the only electro-pneumatic system in Australia for changing points and signals.
Between 1968 and 1970, the station was redeveloped with office towers built over the platforms at the Edward Street end, involving the demolition of the 1901 entrance buildings and the construction of a modern pedestrian retail concourse behind the old station buildings. Further redevelopment in the 1980s saw the Sheraton Hotel towers (now Sofitel Brisbane) built over the remaining platforms.
Central railway station is located at the northern end of the Brisbane central business district on Ann Street, directly opposite Anzac Square. Pedestrian access is available from the main entrance at the corner of Ann and Edward Streets, the pedestrian subway connecting Anzac Square with Upper Edward Street and from the corner of Ann Street and Creek Street. Lesser used access points are located off Wickham Terrace and from Edward Street via the courtyard of the Railway Centre.
There is elevator access to Central Station from Ann Street opposite the Shrine of Remembrance, and from Wickham Terrace on the northern corner of the complex. There are also escalators to Central station from Anzac Square Arcade, next to Anzac Square.
Central station is served by all suburban and interurban City network lines. Also see Inner City timetable
|1 & 2||Beenleigh||All stations services to Coopers Plains, Kuraby & Beenleigh|
|Gold Coast||All stations to Park Road, then Altandi, Loganlea, Beenleigh and all stations to|
|Cleveland||All stations & peak-hour limited stop services to Cannon Hill, Manly & Cleveland|
|3 & 4||Ferny Grove||All stations services to Ferny Grove|
|Airport||Airtrain Citylink service to Brisbane Airport|
|Sunshine Coast||Intercity express services calling all stations to Bowen Hills then Caboolture|
only stopping at Northgate and Petrie then all stations to Gympie North
|Doomben||All stations services to Doomben|
|Shorncliffe||All stations services to Shorncliffe|
|Exhibition||Special event services to Exhibition (Anti-clockwise direction)|
|5||Ipswich & Rosewood||All stations & peak-hour limited stops services to Ipswich & Rosewood|
|Springfield||All stations services to Springfield Central|
|Exhibition||Special event services to Exhibition (Clockwise direction)|
|6||Caboolture||All stations & peak-hour limited stop services to Petrie & Caboolture|
|Sunshine Coast||Intercity limited stop express services calling at all stations to Northgate, then|
Petrie, Caboolture and all stations to Nambour
|Redcliffe Peninsula||Intercity limited stop express services calling at all stations to Bowen Hills then runs express to Northgate only stopping at Eagle Junction then all stations to Kippa-Ring|
|Exhibition||Special event services to Exhibition (Anti-clockwise)|
- "Central Railway Station (entry 600073)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- Hallam, Greg (2005). Brisbane's Biography (Steamtrain Sunday). QR Limited.
- Station clocks were central to city's life The Courier Mail 3 December 2009
- "Roma Street - Bowen Hills Quadruplication Update" Railway Digest March 1995 page 14
- "Inner City Rail Expansion" Railway Digest July 1995 page 17
- "Additional City Tunnels & Track Commissioned" Railway Digest July 1996 page 17
- "Future rail connection in study's sights" (Press release). Government of Queensland. 26 August 2007. Retrieved 13 February 2008.
- Brisbane's busiest station on track for more than $67 million makeover Queensland Government 5 September 2016
- "$67 million refurbishment for Brisbane's Central Station" Railway Digest November 2016 page 16
- "Airport/Gold Coast Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Beenleigh Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Cleveland Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Ipswich Rosewood Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Springfield Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Doomben Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Ferny Grove Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Shorncliffe Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Sunshine Coast Line timetable". TransLink. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- "Inner City timetable" (PDF). TransLink. 24 July 2017. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Central railway station.|