Central South University
Central South University (CSU) (Chinese: 中南大学; pinyin: Zhōngnán dàxué), is a national university of China located in Changsha, Hunan province, central south of People's Republic of China. CSU was established in April 2000 on the basis of the amalgamation of three former individual universities, and is a Chinese Ministry of Education Class A Double First Class University.
Central South University seal
|Established||29 April 2000|
|Campus||Urban, 381 ha|
CSU was established by approval of the State Council on April 29, 2000 by merging three separate universities: Hunan Medical University (HMU), Changsha Railway University (CRU), and Central South University of Technology (CSUT). HMU, formerly under the administration of the Ministry of Health, dates back to 1914 when Xiangya Medical College was founded through the joint efforts of Hunan Yuqun Society and the Yale-China Association. CRU, which was one of the universities under the administration of the Ministry of Railways, initially restructured in 1953 as Central South College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, was established in 1960 based on some of its predecessor’s departments, teaching and research divisions. CSUT, which was one of universities under the administration of the Ministry of Education, was originally named Central South Institute of Mining and Metallurgy in 1952 when a nationwide restructuring of institutes of higher education began. It incorporated departments of mining and metallurgy from six universities, including Wuhan University, Sun Yat-sen University, Guangxi University, Hunan University, Nanchang University and Beijing Institute of Technology.
Central South University (CSU) is a national key university under the direct administration of the Ministry of Education of China, and a member of both Project 211 and Project 985, two national key construction projects to support the development of top Chinese universities. CSU covers an area of 392.4 hectares, with campuses located across the Xiang River at the foot of the Yuelu Hill.
CSU offers 83 bachelor's degrees, 282 master's degrees and 142 doctorate degrees from these 31 colleges and institutes and a graduate school:
- Literature and Journalism
- Foreign Languages
- Architecture and Art
- Business School
- Law School
- Public Administration
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Physics and Electronics
- Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Energy Science and Engineering
- Material Science and Engineering
- Powder Metallurgy Research Institute
- Traffic and Transportation Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Metallurgy and Environment
- Geoscience and Environmental Engineering
- Info-physics and Geomatics Engineering
- Resources and Safety Engineering
- Minerals Processing and Bioengineering
- Information Science and Engineering
- Xiang-ya School of Medicine
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Public Health
- Basic Medical Sciences
- School of Life Sciences
- Research Department of Physical Education
- School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Aier School of Ophthalmology
Faculties and students
More than 33,000 full-time undergraduates and 12,000 graduate students attend Central South University. Of the total number attending CSU, approximately 1,000 are foreign students from around the world. The faculty-student ratio is about 1:8.
CSU covers an area of 3,810,000 square meters and has the total floor space of 2,330,000 square meters. The library of CSU have a collection of more than 4,390,000 volumes.
CSU has six campuses：
- Main campus: dormitories and academic buildings for junior undergraduates and postgraduates of most engineering schools, two state key laboratories, as well as office buildings.
- South campus: dormitories for all freshman and postgraduates of all humanities schools, as well as office buildings.
- New campus: academic buildings for all freshman and all humanities and science postgraduates, as well as office and library buildings.
- Xiangya School of Medicine (New campus): dormitories and academic buildings for medical postgraduates, with Xiangya Hospital and the State Key Laboratory of Medical Genetics of China.
- Xiangya School of Medicine (Old campus): dormitories and academic buildings for medical undergraduates, with Third Xiangya Hospital and medical library.
- Railway campus: dormitories and academic buildings for junior undergraduates and postgraduates of civil engineering, traffic engineering, software engineering, and architecture, as well as office and library buildings.
- 田红旗任中南大学校长. Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China (in Chinese). 1 June 2017. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- "教育部 财政部 国家发展改革委 关于公布世界一流大学和一流学科建设高校及建设 学科名单的通知 (Notice from the Ministry of Education and other national governmental departments announcing the list of double first class universities and disciplines)".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Central South University.|