Central Command (India)
The Central Command of the Indian Army is one of the seven operational commands of the army. It is based at Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. Lt General Iqroop Singh Ghuman is the present General Officer Commanding-in-Chief.
Central Command's insignia today
1 May 1963 - Present
|Garrison/HQ||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh|
|Lt General Iqroop Singh Ghuman, PVSM, AVSM|
Central Command was first established in 1942 during World War II and then disbanded in 1946. Southern Command was responsible for most of the training activities for Indian Army until Central Command was formed in April 1942 which took over the responsibility of some of the training areas.
Area and formations
- Uttar Bharat Area headquartered at Bareilly
- Madhya Bharat Area headquartered at Jabalpur
- 6 Mountain Division at Bareilly
18 Regimental Centres and Large number of logistic and training establishments come under Central Command. The responsibility for the central sector of the Western border with Pakistan also lies with Central Command. Almost half of the 62 cantonments in India lie within the Central Command's theatre.
Rescue operations during 2013 North India floods
During 2013 North India floods in its rescue operations "Operation Surya Hope" in Uttarakhand, the Central Command mobilised over 8,000 troops for rescue and relief operations for stranded people on all four different axis of Rishikesh-Uttarkashi-Harsil-Gangotri axis, Rudraprayag-Kedarnath axis, Joshimath-Badrinath axis and Dharchula-Tawaghat axis in Pithoragarh district. Under operation Ganga, the Army evacuated 1,150 persons from Harsil area; 6,000 from Joshimath and 700 from Tawaghat area. Army operations in the 40,000 square kilometres were led by Lieutenant General Anil Chait, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Central Command.
Commanders prior to Independence
List of Commanders
General Officer Commanding-in-Chief Central Command
- "Army pays poignant tributes to its martyrs & bravehearts". The Times of India. 3 May 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Lt-General IS Ghuman assumes charge as Commander of Central Command of Indian Army". 2 October 2019.
- "Lt Gen Ghuman takes over as GOC-in-C of Central Command". 2 October 2019.
- Army Commands Archived 5 July 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- Alan Jeffreys; Patrick Rose (1 August 2012). The Indian Army 1939-47 Experience and Development. Ashgate Publishing. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Central Command Raising Day concludes". The Times of India. 3 May 2009. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- Subodh Kapoor (2002). The Indian Encyclopaedia: India (Central Provinces)-Indology. Genesis Publishing Pvt Ltd. p. 3372. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- Bharat Verma; G. M. Hiranandani; B. K. Pandey (2008). Indian Armed Forces. Lancer Publishers. p. 16. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Commands of the Indian Army". Archived from the original on 2 June 2013. Retrieved 22 June 2013.
- Mukund Padmanabhan (11 May 2003). "Central Command's novel initiative". The Hindu. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "Army rescues over 7,000 stranded persons". The Times of India. 19 June 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "2,500 additional troops deployed for rescue operations". The Times of India. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- "Lieutenant General Khem Karan Singh, MVC: A great military leader". defenceinfo.com.
- "General Nakai laid to rest with service honours". tribuneindia.com. Tribune India.
- "Padmanabhan may be new Army Chief". Tribune India.
- ""Shortage of officers may continue"". Tribune India.
- "First IDS chief Lt Gen Joshi dies". Times of India. Times of India.
- "New Army Vice-Chief". www.thehindu.com.
- "Lt-Gen Subramanyam is new GOC-in-C". www.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Times Of India.
- "Lt Gen Nandrajog takes over as Central Command GOC-in-C". www.outlookindia.com. Outlook.
- "Senior Appointments : Army". www.pib.nic.in. PIB.
- "LIEUTENANT GENERAL ANIL CHAIT TAKES OVER AS GOC-IN-C, CENTRAL COMMAND". Indian Army.
- "Lt Gen Rajan Bakhshi takes over as GOC-in-C, Central Command". Indian Defence Review.
- "Lt Gen BS Negi appointed Central Command's new GOC-in-C (designate)". Times of India.
- "Lt Gen Abhay Krishna takes over as GOC-in-Chief of Central Command - Times of India". The Times of India.
- Gurung, Shaurya Karanbir. "Naravane appointed as new Vice Chief of Indian Army, four army commanders appointed". The Economic Times. Retrieved 24 July 2019.