Location of Centerville, Texas
|Coordinates: 31°15′23″N 95°58′46″W|
|• Total||1.5 sq mi (3.8 km2)|
|• Land||1.5 sq mi (3.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||354 ft (108 m)|
|• Density||620.9/sq mi (239.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1354216|
According to the United States Census Bureau, Centerville has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all of it land.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Centerville has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 903 people, 388 households, and 230 families residing in the city. The population density was 620.9 people per square mile (240.4/km2). There were 464 housing units at an average density of 319.0 per square mile (123.6/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 75.30% White, 21.82% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 1.66% from other races, and 0.66% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.99% of the population.
There were 388 households out of which 25.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.4% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.5% were non-families. 38.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.17 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the city, the population was spread out with 22.1% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 22.6% from 25 to 44, 25.0% from 45 to 64, and 23.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females, there were 83.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,677, and the median income for a family was $35,278. Males had a median income of $38,125 versus $19,167 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,469. About 14.9% of families and 19.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.7% of those under age 18 and 20.9% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Centerville is served by the Centerville Independent School District.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Centerville, Texas.|
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- According to online mileage guides provided by Mapquest, it is 123.37 miles between Dallas and Centerville, and 117.21 miles between Houston and Centerville.
- "Centerville, Texas". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company. 1893. p. 463. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "Centerville, Texas". Centerville Chamber of Commerce. Archived from the original on 2012-02-01. Retrieved 2012-05-06.
- Climate Summary for Centerville, Texas
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.