|Coordinates: 18.0667°N 76.4333°W|
Cattawood Springs was a place of refuge for Queen Nanny and the Jamaican Maroons during the First Maroon War, especially when the militias captured Nanny Town. However, under Nanny's leadership, the Windward Maroons mounted attacks from Cotterwood, and recaptured Nanny Town on more than one occasion. The Windward Maroons made overtures to join forces with Cudjoe towards the end of the 1730s. After the Windward Maroons signed a peace treaty with governor Edward Trelawny in 1740, Queen Nanny's Maroons abandoned Nanny Town, and resettled in New Nanny Town, which was eventually renamed Moore Town.
Some of the original inhabitants left Cattawood in 1730 to join up with Cudjoe in Cudjoe's Town (Trelawny Town). According to one story, a group of one hundred men women and children went to join Cudjoe, and they were probably members of the group led by Captain Cuffee, who was one of Cudjoe's deputies at the signing of the 1739 peace treaty with the Leeward Maroons. They retained their name subsequently settling in Cotterwood in Saint Elizabeth Parish.
- A Dictionary of Jamaican English edited by F.G. Cassidy, R.B.Le Page accessed 18thFebruary 2007
- Bev Carey, The Maroon Story: The Authentic and Original History of the Maroons in the History of Jamaica 1490-1880 (Kingston, Jamaica: Agouti Press, 1997), pp. 117-257.
- The History of the Maroons from their Origin to the Establishment of their Chief Tribe at Sierra Leone by Robert Charles Dallas, London 1802
- Siva, Michael (2018). After the Treaties: A Social, Economic and Demographic History of Maroon Society in Jamaica, 1739-1842 (PDF) (PhD). Southampton: Southampton University. pp. 44-5.