Cascades (Marilyn Crispell album)
Cascades is an album by American jazz pianist Marilyn Crispell, British bassist Barry Guy and drummer Gerry Hemingway, which was recorded live in 1993 during the Vancouver Jazz Festival and released on the Music & Arts label. This was the first time that they worked as a trio.
|Live album by|
|Recorded||June 26, 1993|
|Venue||Western Front Lodge, Vancouver|
|Label||Music & Arts|
|Marilyn Crispell chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz|
In his review for AllMusic, Scott Yanow states "Although there is a creative use of space, the lack of any real themes or lyrical moments makes this performance much less interesting than one would expect considering the musicians involved."
The Penguin Guide to Jazz notes about the trio that "the combination is sometimes too cluttered, though the bassist also understands better than the two Americans how to leave light and shade, space and air, in this music."
All titles are collective works
- "Ricochet" – 15:40
- "Violet Sparks in Soft Air" – 6:40
- "Resonances" – 5:19
- "Cascades" – 28:48
- "Shadow Play" – 3:13
- Marilyn Crispell Sessionography by Rick Lopez
- Original Liner Notes by John Corbett
- Yanow, Scott. Marilyn Crispell – Cascades: Review at AllMusic. Retrieved April 10, 2015.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2002). The Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (6th ed.). London: Penguin. p. 350. ISBN 0140515216.