Carolyn W. Colvin (born May 27, 1942 in Arnold, Maryland) was the Acting Commissioner of Social Security Administration in the United States, appointed on February 14, 2013, having succeeded Michael J. Astrue. On June 20, 2014, President Barack Obama nominated her to serve as the commissioner. On September 18, 2014, the United States Senate Committee on Finance approved her nomination by a 22–2 vote. However, her nomination was never brought up for a vote before the full Senate.
|Acting Commissioner of the Social Security Administration|
January 19, 2013 – January 20, 2017
|Preceded by||Michael J. Astrue|
|Succeeded by||Nancy Berryhill (acting)|
|Born||May 27, 1942|
Arnold, Maryland, U.S.
|Education||Morgan State University (BS, MBA)|
Previously, she was the Deputy Commissioner, having been nominated by Obama and confirmed by the United States Senate in 2010. She had previously worked at the Social Security Administration during the 1990s.
Colvin has had a wide range of public sector experience.
- Secretary of the Maryland Department of Human Resources (1989–1994)
- Deputy Commissioner for Policy and External Affairs, Social Security Administration (1994–1996)
- Deputy Commissioner for Programs and Policy, Social Security Administration (1996–1998)
- Deputy Commissioner for Operations, Social Security Administration (1998–2001)
- Director of the District of Columbia Department of Human Services (2001–2003)
- Director of the Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services (2003–2007)
- chief executive officer of AMERIGROUP Community Care of the District of Columbia (2007–2008)
- Special Assistant to the Secretary of Maryland Department of Transportation (2009–2011)
- "Obama to Nominate Colvin to Lead Social Security Administration". Wall Street Journal. June 20, 2014.
- "Finance Committee Approves Carolyn Colvin for Social Security Commissioner".
- Urban, Peter. "Larson Urges Leadership at Social Security Administration". CT News Junkie.
- "Social Security Press Release".
- Brannon, Jody. "Carolyn Colvin, Commissioner (acting)". National Journal. Archived from the original on September 21, 2013.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- The Acting Commissioner of Social Security
- Carolyn W. Colvin-Former Secretaries-Department of Human Resources-Maryland Manual On-Line
| Commissioner of the Social Security Administration